Ember Boost and Dark Esbat: same circuit

MattG

I was skimming over my next potential project(s), and spent some time looking at the Dark Esbat Boost (Black Country Customs TI-Boost). Looking at the schematic, I thought, that looks somewhat familiar. Compare it to the Ember Boost (TCE Spark Booster). The circuit topologies are the same! In fact, all but a very small number of component values are the same. Someone should check my work, I may have overlooked some differences. But this circuit, while it has some familiar building blocks, is itself somewhat unique (complex, if nothing else, with three dual opamps). In other words, I don't think there's any chance it's an accidental copy.

What I also find curious is that if you look at TCE's product page for the Spark Booster, they list Tony Iommi as one of the artists using the Spark Booster. And of course the "TI" in "TI-Boost" is a direct reference to Tony Iommi.

Great observation, they do look very similar. Only a few components differ, and they probably aren't causing substantial changes.

Coincidently, I just finished building the Dark Esbat a few minutes ago... I plan to post a build report tomorrow. I guess I don't need an Ember Boost now.

I try not to double up on PCBs, ie if I've got the "BlahBlahX" circuit from PedalPCB, I won't get the "BlahBlahX" from Aion and vice versa...

However, my PCB-stash has grown such that ensuring there is no overlap is difficult. Then when circuits are extremely similar, such as the Mastotron and Woolly Mammoth, it makes it that much harder to avoid overlap. I don't need nor want two Woolly Mammoths albeit one with slightly more functionality, so I'd just get the Mastotron — that sort of thing.

In this case of Ember-Esbat, it would seem I already have both the BlahBlahX and the blaHblaHx... Oh well.

Good work MattG! Putting aside how the schematics were drawn, the physical differences between the actual circuits are indeed minor. An extra resistor here, a 1µ swapped for 10µ there, a LPF changed to HPF on the fourth Op-amp stage... that sort of thing.

Maybe I'll build a dual-pedal with both, or give the one I like less (if I can even discern a difference) to a friend...

YAS sir/ma'am, it's just Yet Another Spark...

I try not to double up on PCBs, ie if I've got the "BlahBlahX" circuit from PedalPCB, I won't get the "BlahBlahX" from Aion and vice versa...

However, my PCB-stash has grown such that ensuring there is no overlap is difficult. Then when circuits are extremely similar, such as the Mastotron and Woolly Mammoth, it makes it that much harder to avoid overlap. I don't need nor want two Woolly Mammoths albeit one with slightly more functionality, so I'd just get the Mastotron — that sort of thing.

In this case of Ember-Esbat, it would seem I already have both the BlahBlahX and the blaHblaHx... Oh well.

Good work MattG! Putting aside how the schematics were drawn, the physical differences between the actual circuits are indeed minor. An extra resistor here, a 1µ swapped for 10µ there, a LPF changed to HPF on the fourth Op-amp stage... that sort of thing.

Maybe I'll build a dual-pedal with both, or give the one I like less (if I can even discern a difference) to a friend...

YAS sir/ma'am, it's just Yet Another Spark...
That’s nothing, I was digging through my built pedals, and stumbled on some pedals I’d been meaning to build. Totally forgot I already did.

Wow - good catch! That's disappointing. It does rather change my view of the Dark Esbat. And it also highlights my own prejudices - While I never disliked the Spark it didn't make a huge impression on me. But when I built the Dark Esbat I came to it thinking it was Laney's version of a treble booster, which of course it isn't. Well, it can boost treble but that's not what a traditional treble booster is about.

It shows to me how much preconceptions can colour the way I perceive a circuit. I was expecting to hear dark, old-school boost from the Dark Esbat so that's what I dialled up. I really like it. It never would have occurred to me to use a TC Spark in that fashion. Fascinating.

Funnily enough I just found the same thing today! Rangemaster my ass, it's a TC Spark clone with some minimal value changes that may or may not make it slightly brighter sounding.

Now I want to see a shootout!

They both seem liked improved versions of Xotic RC Booster. Aion FX had a good tracing journal post about some those Xotic pedals.

While the Spark shares the same controls as the Xotic ones, which are literally TS circuits with an obviously tacked on Bax EQ, the gain stage and weird input stage on the Spark is quite different. The gain stage itself is almost closer to a Marshall Bluesbreaker/Guvnor, only that the gain control sits at a different spot.

Back