SOLVED Episode Boost biasing

EGRENIER

I just completed the episode boost. Now I need to bias it with the trim pot. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to look for in terms of value or even sound.

I assume I’m biasing Q1 (2n5457) based on the trim pot location. I read in some Other thread that I should aim for half of the voltage. So when the pedal is on 9V should I read 4.5V on the collector ?

Right now full, open gives me 9.22V and if I turn the trim pot CW I can drop it to 7V. I checked and I have the right trim pot 50K.

So when facing the flat side starting from the left I read:
with pot CCW all the way
9.22V, 229.5 mV and 0

with pot CW all the way
7V, 218 mV and 0

Any suggestion ?

Get on EG's mailing list. They put stuff on sale every week. It's surplus, so stuff constantly comes and goes. They have some generic Vactrol-type devices; a good deal when they're on sale. You have to test 'em 'cause there are usually a few duds. At 12 for $3, I don't mind having to toss a few out.

J112s have a large spec range for Idss & Vp, so be prepared to test & sort them. You might want to get some 2N5458s from Tayda as well. They are like 2N5457s, only hotter.

Will do...

I got also those on the Tayda order:

You had recommended the 6 packs, do I need 6 ? I guess you'll tell me that depends how big the project I will breadboard... At 2$ each, I don't mind having more than less.

In terms of tools/accessories/testing goes anything you'd recommend to get from Tayda ? So far, I'm loading up on knobs, power jacks and leds...

Those are pretty small and you only need one or two. It is the least expensive option and you can give the extras to your pedal-building friends.

I have been using mostly ZY-204 solderless breadboards. They are featured in most of the breadboard pix I've posted. Plenty of room to build anything on this site. I get 'em on eBay and I buy from the seller with the best price + shipping at the time.

1% 1/8W resistors, WIMA film caps, tantalum caps, opamps (the usual suspects) & pots. You can never have enough of any of those.
Yeah, I'm pretty much loaded for those... Obviously not all the values, but normally when I need one I buy 20...

I wish Tayda had Transistor testers or other tools of that nature... But testing on breadboard will be a good learning experience.

Your JFET is too cold (Idss & Vp too low). All too common to find those on eBay. Probably the leftovers from someone else cherry-picking the "good" ones. Take solace in the knowledge that your cold 2N5457s will be useful as subs for J201 in some pedals. Ideally, you should find a hotter JFET. Doesn't have to be 2N5457. Did you solder the transistors into the sockets? What' the point of using sockets if you're gonna solder them in? Your other alternative is to reduce R4 (try 2.2K) or change the BIAS pot to 100K.
Thanks Chuck for confirming my suspicions on the 2N5457!

What's that cheap Digital Screen device on Fleabay you have that measures all types of Transistors????

Just added Picture!!!
899ae22e-d35c-4819-9935-f2df4d9faf9e.jpeg

Last edited:
Back