Executive fuzz help

LPSonicForge

Hello guys. My first post and my first build from PedalPCB.com. The executive fuzz. As you can guess it’s not working. Ive spent over 12 hours the past 2 days scratching my brain on why this won’t work. I’ve followed the schematic and checked continuity everywhere. All seems fine there. I notice the build docs ask for NPN 2n3906 where what I have are PNP 2n3906 really. But flipping the transistor didn’t matter (I’m not sure that works anyways I’m just trying whatever I can). I originally sent reverse polarity to the unit in a mistake but then out of frustration pulled every component and started over with new components because I didn’t know what I fried. Here’s what I got now. Re-assembled pcb, Dismantled all switch, jacks, and 9v DC and hooked PCB to the pedal auditorium (I originally thought I had a solder bridge under the switch, so I pulled everything off but the basic PCB and hooked to the auditorium). Led works, bypass signal works, volume and attack knobs work, but when engaged it sounds no different from my clean sound. Sound passes thru and the knobs do adjust volume and if attack is at minimum there’s no sound. I’m at my parents now watching football so I don’t have any pictures of my build at the moment but I will post them when I get home if that helps, although it will be later tonight. I just can’t stop thinking about this. I guess my question is are what could have went wrong as this seemed an easy starter build. I mean no disrespect by this but are the build docs wrong about the transistor, is the pcb have an error as it was revised 10/2022 and I only found one similar issue where this layout wasn’t working, no other pictures. It could be that Ive done something stupid and uneducated because I’m new to this. Lol. Any help for rookie would be appreciated as I’d love to get this working and continue this hobby(I’ve order 7 pcbs, but I don’t wanna mess those up if I can’t figure this out) but I’m striking out here. I’m also trying to learn as much as possible about why this does that or that does this. Thank you for your time and any advice is much appreciated. Happy Holidays.

Attachments

• IMG_3533.png
    IMG_3533.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3535.jpeg
    IMG_3535.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3534.png
    IMG_3534.png
    459.4 KB · Views: 18
May have spoken in haste. 50/50 if you were in diode mode on the DMM and your D100 is still good.
Check here.
Screenshot_20231223-213227-935.png
Also make sure your D100 is good using diode mode on your DMM.
That's a schottcky so should read .3-.4ish in one probe orientation snap very little to 0 in the other.
Or apply power and check for DC on both sides, one side having -.3 vdc than the other.

Also, I can't tell if d100 is backwards.
It looks like there was a band on the right, but it's Saturday night...
Hey sorry for the late reply had family stuff today. Thanks for the help. R5 to C100 continuity, I believe, is good I got a beep and + to the anode side of the diode is reading 0 on my DMM and I got a reading from 19 to 0 on the cathode side to C100 although it’s not consistent in those numbers. It’s snapping down like u said it would. But voltage is anode side 9.17 cathode side 8.98 with both to ground lug. Hope that isn’t confusing I’m trying to provide the right information. Thanks again

... iPhone 14 basic model camera.
C'mon now, a good crafter never blames the tool.
1703522503047.png
I've got an iPhone 12 and have no problem posting clear, defined pics.

Tips
A) LOTS of light, from multiple sources if you can
B) Don't hold the camera up close to the subject, zoom in!
C) When uploading from the phone, I usually select "Medium" quality (from the phone, NOT the forum software).

Selecting "medium" makes sure the pic isn't too big (File-size wise) to get onto the forum, and it is usually still big and clear enough visually for most applications.

Of course, your phone's settings for taking pictures also comes into play.
Okay, I'm going back to lurk-mode in hopes to learn something from your thread; I return you to the capable master solder-sifus.

Happy 25th and may the trouble-shooting gurus get you through to a functioning pedal.

C'mon now, a good crafter never blames the tool.
View attachment 64103
I've got an iPhone 12 and have no problem posting clear, defined pics.

Tips
A) LOTS of light, from multiple sources if you can
B) Don't hold the camera up close to the subject, zoom in!
C) When uploading from the phone, I usually select "Medium" quality (from the phone, NOT the forum software).

Selecting "medium" makes sure the pic isn't too big (File-size wise) to get onto the forum, and it is usually still big and clear enough visually for most applications.

Of course, your phone's settings for taking pictures also comes into play.
Okay, I'm going back to lurk-mode in hopes to learn something from your thread; I return you to the capable master solder-sifus.

Happy 25th and may the trouble-shooting gurus get you through to a functioning pedal.
Hey. Thanks for the tips! I’m trying to learn the way of the forum, as I’m sure this won’t be the only time I need their wisdom and guidance. I will try to implement this advice in the future. Happy 25th to you as well!

Hey. Thanks for the tips! I’m trying to learn the way of the forum, as I’m sure this won’t be the only time I need their wisdom and guidance. I will try to implement this advice in the future. Happy 25th to you as well!
Thank you!

When I first joined the forum it took me a long while to figure out I could adjust the size of the phone pic from the phone; to begin with, I simply did not upload photos! 😸

@LPSonicForge Did you ever solve your Executive problem? Just curious.
Hey there… no I didn’t. I chalked it up to a mistake somewhere on my part. I put it in a rainy day bin for the future. While I was ordering my next projects, I just went ahead and re ordered the pcb to have another go at it soon. I built a few more pcbs between that post and now and had no problems, also upgraded some of my tools and read a lot on the forum. So fingers crossed. Thanks.

Hey there… no I didn’t. I chalked it up to a mistake somewhere on my part. I put it in a rainy day bin for the future. While I was ordering my next projects, I just went ahead and re ordered the pcb to have another go at it soon. I built a few more pcbs between that post and now and had no problems, also upgraded some of my tools and read a lot on the forum. So fingers crossed. Thanks.
Gotcha! Yep, just try it again from scratch. I'm VERY new at this and just built one (and added a voltage starve). Works great! A little hissy, but fuzz can be noisy... 🤷‍♂️

Good luck! Many fantastic builders have helped me here.

Gotcha! Yep, just try it again from scratch. I'm VERY new at this and just built one (and added a voltage starve). Works great! A little hissy, but fuzz can be noisy... 🤷‍♂️

Good luck! Many fantastic builders have helped me here.
Hey thank you!!. Glad to hear it’s a good fuzz. I’m kind of glad I messed it up because I was a little maniac researching like crazy. I learned a lot before jumping into the next PCB which was a Bellows fuzz driver. I been building mainly fuzzes and a few OD’s. Kinda addicted at this point. Built the crankshaft last night and I really like it more than my EQD Special Cranker I think. It’s got more hair to it. Time will tell. And the Ionizer 2 circuit that has the oscillation pot, Is a lot of fun with whammy tremolo and delay. Thanks for the reply. Have a good one and best of luck on your future builds.

Back