Executive fuzz help

LPSonicForge

Hello guys. My first post and my first build from PedalPCB.com. The executive fuzz. As you can guess it’s not working. Ive spent over 12 hours the past 2 days scratching my brain on why this won’t work. I’ve followed the schematic and checked continuity everywhere. All seems fine there. I notice the build docs ask for NPN 2n3906 where what I have are PNP 2n3906 really. But flipping the transistor didn’t matter (I’m not sure that works anyways I’m just trying whatever I can). I originally sent reverse polarity to the unit in a mistake but then out of frustration pulled every component and started over with new components because I didn’t know what I fried. Here’s what I got now. Re-assembled pcb, Dismantled all switch, jacks, and 9v DC and hooked PCB to the pedal auditorium (I originally thought I had a solder bridge under the switch, so I pulled everything off but the basic PCB and hooked to the auditorium). Led works, bypass signal works, volume and attack knobs work, but when engaged it sounds no different from my clean sound. Sound passes thru and the knobs do adjust volume and if attack is at minimum there’s no sound. I’m at my parents now watching football so I don’t have any pictures of my build at the moment but I will post them when I get home if that helps, although it will be later tonight. I just can’t stop thinking about this. I guess my question is are what could have went wrong as this seemed an easy starter build. I mean no disrespect by this but are the build docs wrong about the transistor, is the pcb have an error as it was revised 10/2022 and I only found one similar issue where this layout wasn’t working, no other pictures. It could be that Ive done something stupid and uneducated because I’m new to this. Lol. Any help for rookie would be appreciated as I’d love to get this working and continue this hobby(I’ve order 7 pcbs, but I don’t wanna mess those up if I can’t figure this out) but I’m striking out here. I’m also trying to learn as much as possible about why this does that or that does this. Thank you for your time and any advice is much appreciated. Happy Holidays.

Attachments

• IMG_3533.png
    IMG_3533.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3535.jpeg
    IMG_3535.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3534.png
    IMG_3534.png
    459.4 KB · Views: 18
Pictures would go a long way!

There's a typo in the doc, 2n3906 are PNP so that's not the real issue. My guess is ripping everything out may have damaged traces or something like that. In the future, just replace the 1n5817 diode if you accidentally send the wrong polarity thru it, that's what it's there for!

Hey thanks for the reply! Good to know. I originally thought that might be all I need to replace but I ordered extras of everything so I wanted to be sure, and I was ready to be playing “spirit in the sky” riff all night, so I thought let’s just redo it lol. I will for sure post pictures later tonight. Appreciate it.

Hey thanks for the reply! Good to know. I originally thought that might be all I need to replace but I ordered extras of everything so I wanted to be sure, and I was ready to be playing “spirit in the sky” riff all night, so I thought let’s just redo it lol. I will for sure post pictures later tonight. Appreciate it.

No problem, we'll get ya across the finish line. Never spend 12 hours on such a simple circuit without consulting us ever again! :ROFLMAO:

I have a video of it on the auditorium as well, but I can’t figure out how to post that video. Also, if the pictures aren’t quality enough, I’ll figure something else out.

😂Haha. That I will do for sure! I didn’t wanna be totally ignorant coming on here. So I did learn a little tiny bit in those 12 plus hours reading watching and lurking around the forums and I made an audio probe.
Don’t feel bad asking. I’ve built pedals and amps for decades, and even I get caught with rookie mistakes from time to time. Folks here are always glad to help!

Two more picture under better light. Sorry they aren’t top quality. If I get closer they just blur up. iPhone 14 basic model camera.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpeg
    IMG_3545.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3544.jpeg
    IMG_3544.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 20
Back