Stuff

So this what was meant when somebody told me to “Get a Life!”?

At first I thought he said “Get a wife”, but I have one and getting another… well they’re like potato-chips — next thing you know you’ve got a harem, or was it an empty bag? A polygamy suit? Well, something…

Nice build Fig, but if I took that many breaks I’d never get anything done. Who am I kidding? I don’t get anything done now, without breaks. Just lots of fractures.

So this what was meant when somebody told me to “Get a Life!”?

At first I thought he said “Get a wife”, but I have one and getting another… well they’re like potato-chips — next thing you know you’ve got a harem, or was it an empty bag? A polygamy suit? Well, something…

Nice build Fig, but if I took that many breaks I’d never get anything done. Who am I kidding? I don’t get anything done now, without breaks. Just lots of fractures.

It's difficult to be certain whether in fact we live between building pedals, build pedals between living, or even build pedals FOR a living. I've come to realize all warrant many breaks, but that could just be me. As @jeffwhitfield sang and was ripped off by a couple of hippie-type troubadours I am a 🪨 , and a rock feels no pain. But if you're hit by one -you will. Now I wonder why Jeff and Garfunky would argue over who gets to be more like an inanimate object? Life's funny that way I suppose.

As for polygamy, Geometry was never my best subject so I'll be of no use there. I do wish, hope, pray all the best for both all of you. Pass the chips please. All these breaks give me the munchies.

Last edited:
My goodness I just had a fright!

I walked into my lab and nearly called 911, for "someone" had ransacked the place! Parenthesis!

I think I might work towards doing one of those streaming kajiggers. That picture snapping with my old cellophone took nearly as long as building the pedal ( and yes....thankfully there were breaks ). I just need a wee more space before anything such as that.

House-hunting has proven to be extremely frustrating. Not just because the market is currently in a shambles (naturally), but also because we actually have to consider our age when looking. This was brought to my attention by my wife, whose consul I held in high regard....up until that moment. :oops: Really?!! We can't just pick out a house we want and can afford? She's right of course. It's consideration for things most of you wont be considerating for ages right? Don't blink my friends....don't blink.

Meanwhile, I've a bench to restore to a usable status, and you've something more interesting to do than read this post. 😘

My goodness I just had a fright!

I walked into my lab and nearly called 911, for "someone" had ransacked the place! Parenthesis!

I think I might work towards doing one of those streaming kajiggers. That picture snapping with my old cellophone took nearly as long as building the pedal ( and yes....thankfully there were breaks ). I just need a wee more space before anything such as that.

House-hunting has proven to be extremely frustrating. Not just because the market is currently in a shambles (naturally), but also because we actually have to consider our age when looking. This was brought to my attention by my wife, whose consul I held in high regard....up until that moment. :oops: Really?!! We can't just pick out a house we want and can afford? She's right of course. It's consideration for things most of you wont be considerating for ages right? Don't blink my friends....don't blink.

Meanwhile, I've a bench to restore to a usable status, and you've something more interesting to do than read this post. 😘

I’m planning out the finishing of my basement now and I’m going to carve out a permanent workspace when I do.

I ordered one of those smd sorting boxes. Makes sorting much easier. I had 45 mmbf5457 that I ordered awhile ago. Got 4 quads. I only plan on keeping two quads so if anybody needs a quad, dm me. I'm sorting some 2sk209-gr by idss. You need two two matched pairs for a Blues Driver.

Next up....

...I take on The Pharmacist! [very dramatic yet somehow comforting with a touch of spring music]

Revolver/Rubber Soul imho are arguably the Fab Four's Finest. Just thought I'd add that...not sure why though....oh, yes..the song Doctor Robert is on one of 'em, and so Pharmacist/Doctor...yeah that's what it was....groovy.

I've had several requests from members to take more breaks, so we'll work those in as time permits.

This build is special because the graphics are under the masterful direction of @SYLV9ST9R and will be my first Tayda UV submission. What could go wrong? (shhhh.....the whole cockiness seemed to work on the last pedal...I'm hoping it holds true).
PharmacistOverdrive-Preview.jpg

I'll look over the build doc and make sure I have everything (duh Fig...you probably should have done that first).

I think Revolver is their greatest. Time has muted some of it's daring and groundbreaking nature but it is in effect a much more monumental step forward than Sgt. Pepper's was.

Revolver to Sgt. Pepper's seems like a small step compared to Rubber Soul to Revolver.

Revolver is not possible without the shift in the songwriting, exemplified by Rubber Soul. Gone were the lovey dovey tunes, replaced by themes of self-doubt, the passage of time/nostalgia, arson, and so on. The difference may be subtle, but its a big difference. Sure, new themes began appearing earlier, but Rubber Soul was the first time the Beatles cut an album...something as a whole. George Harrison considered Rubber Soul and Revolver as a double album. One was an exploration in songwriting, the other an exploration of sonic potential...with the help of Geoff Emerick. Rubber Soul would have sounded much much different if Normal Smith had moved on before and not after its recording...

Built a Pharmacist myself. Nice pedal with some good tones. I’ll find a sing for it at some point. Probably a Beatles cover. 🤪

Reactions: fig
I have a Pharmacist ready to go, but a few others in the queue before it.

Rubber Soul and Revolver are both masterpieces. I'm going to go out on a limb here, though, and say that side one of Help! - which preceded Rubber Soul - is clearly showing the way toward the genius of the following albums.

1 Help!
2 The Night Before
3 You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
4 I Need You (George Harrison)
5 Another Girl
6 You're Going to Lose That Girl
7 Ticket to Ride

Not every track is outstanding, but it's a great collection of songs.

Side two is a bit weaker, but it does feature Yesterday. And I love Ringo's version of Act Naturally. Paul's I've Just Seen a Face is less successful than John's Dylanesque tune on side one, but it's a cool Beatles deep track in its own right.

I have a Pharmacist ready to go, but a few others in the queue before it.

Rubber Soul and Revolver are both masterpieces. I'm going to go out on a limb here, though, and say that side one of Help! - which preceded Rubber Soul - is clearly showing the way toward the genius of the following albums.

1 Help!
2 The Night Before
3 You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
4 I Need You (George Harrison)
5 Another Girl
6 You're Going to Lose That Girl
7 Ticket to Ride

Not every track is outstanding, but it's a great collection of songs.

Side two is a bit weaker, but it does feature Yesterday. And I love Ringo's version of Act Naturally. Paul's I've Just Seen a Face is less successful than John's Dylanesque tune on side one, but it's a cool Beatles deep track in its own right.

“I’ve Just Seen a Face” was the opening track on the US release of Rubber Soul…which was edited to be more folk rock than anything. Revolver was also edited for the US market. It’s interesting when you talk to someone who’s experience with Rubber Soul was the original US release. It’s like they never really heard it. I was lucky to have inherited a great-uncle’s UK import version as a kid. Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles album…

“I’ve Just Seen a Face” was the opening track on the US release of Rubber Soul…which was edited to be more folk rock than anything. Revolver was also edited for the US market. It’s interesting when you talk to someone who’s experience with Rubber Soul was the original US release. It’s like they never really heard it. I was lucky to have inherited a great-uncle’s UK import version as a kid. Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles album…
They weren't happy at all with US releases particularly around that time from what I recall reading. Artistry and business are strange bedfellows.

I thought they'd stopped doing US versions by that time. Interesting. Here in Australia we got the UK versions - in some cases direct imports from the UK. Before my time, but I do have some Beatles LPs that are local pressings and some that are UK pressings. Not that I've played any of my vinyl LPs for a very long time. At least I know not to call them "vinyls" though.

EDIT: Sgt Pepper was indeed the first Beatles LP to have the same track listing on both sides of the Atlantic. Not that I doubted you, @Coda.

I thought they'd stopped doing US versions by that time. Interesting. Here in Australia we got the UK versions - in some cases direct imports from the UK. Before my time, but I do have some Beatles LPs that are local pressings and some that are UK pressings. Not that I've played any of my vinyl LPs for a very long time. At least I know not to call them "vinyls" though.

EDIT: Sgt Pepper was indeed the first Beatles LP to have the same track listing on both sides of the Atlantic. Not that I doubted you, @Coda.

There are twice as many US albums than UK: Capitol Records would take a UK album (14 tracks, with no singles or b-sides), and split it into two 12 track albums, including singles and b-sides. Sgt. Pepper was indeed the first album with one track listing, as well as the first album that had a decent stereo mix. Some of the previous stereo mixes are horrible: Please Please Me (mixed as three tracks) has all of the instruments to the left, all the vocals to the right, and the reverb in the middle. Listen with headphones and it can be pretty rough. Starting with With the Beatles, they made 4 track mixes, but the stereo mix was still all over the place: mono drums panned way left or right, bass opposite, guitars opposite vocals. Sometimes it’s a little disorienting. Stereo, despite being invented, more or less, by EMI, was a novelty in the UK, so they didn’t really focus on that mix. In the US stereo was far more popular. Sometimes they would take a mono mix and use it to make a “Duophonic” stereo mix; fake stereo, basically. They would split the mono mix into two tracks panned left and right. One would have bass up and treble cut, and the other could have treble up and bass cut. Then they would slightly delay one of the tracks, and then apply copious amounts of reverb from the Capital Records reverb chamber (designed by Les Paul). The result was a track that had stereo depth, but no actual stereo. Pet Sounds is a famous example of this, since Brian Wilson never did stereo mixes, since he only can hear out of one ear…

Back