First Build - Where to Buy Parts?

Hi there! I’m brand new to PedalPCB but was a part of the B.Y.O.C. community back in the day. I haven’t built a pedal in over a decade but I’m looking to possibly build a few things from here.

As these are not “kits” like BYOC was, where is the best place to source all the correct parts for these builds? I know PedalPCB sells some things but it looks like not everything, right? Like enclosures (and a particular diode that was listed in one of the builds I was looking into).

I’ve been seeing Tayda come up a lot and that seems to check a lot of boxes for parts and enclosures.

But I’m just looking for some general advice for someone just getting back into it!

The majority of my builds are prototypes and end up in a box for parts salvage anyway, so I go for economical except where it doesn't make sense.

Tayda for the bulk of things. Passive components, common in-production semiconductors, enclosures, most switches, etc.

StompBoxParts is my next go-to, they have more specific items you won't find at Tayda, some NOS components, knobs, less common potentiometer values/tapers, etc.

Smallbear for out of production components that I can't find at StompBoxParts

LoveMySwitches for ... well... any switches I can't find elsewhere.

CabinTech for reissues of out of production semiconductors like BBDs, VCAs, etc.

Mouser and Arrow when all else fails

Each vendor will have those one or two random items you just can't find anywhere else, so it never hurts to just sit and browse their site a bit and become familiar with them. I personally haven't had a bad experience with any of the vendors listed above.

StompBoxParts is the newest player to the field out of the bunch, and they're really good about getting new things in stock when we beg them. They also have a few PedalPCB kits if you're not looking to dive in head first.

Be extremely careful with eBay, Amazon or Aliexpress for any out of production / rare semiconductors. Each one does have reputable sellers but you're more likely to get burned than not.

Last edited:
When I started it was a bit overwhelming but I ended up seeing a video on YouTube where someone went to Tayda, started with selecting the "resistors" pull down menus on the left side, made the webpage "show all," then started looking for each resistor value using "find." Add to cart. Then move to capacitors, then diodes, then ICs, etc. The "hardware" section will have things like enclosures and knobs. Sometimes I just search the name or value of the part like "A500K" for a pot, or "TL072" for an IC.
That's pretty much what I do now. There are always things they may be out of, or not have a brand I want (like for box capcictors I like to stick to WIMA MKIIs because I heard they were good quality. And for Electrolytics Panasonic, or something ending with "-ion.") Then you have to go to other places. In my experience it's rare to have every single part for a build at one place.
Digi Key and Mouser in addition to the above. Sometimes it's a bit of a dance to order parts for a build from as little places a possible to save on shipping, but sometimes only one place will have one thing you need! Sometimes I try to think ahead and but for 2 or 3 or 4 builds, thinking that saves on shipping.

Also, in Burbank, there is a place called TAW Electronics that has resistors and capacitors that I've frequented when I couldn't find something online, or, mostly I forgot/got confused to order a part.

I will say for me it depends on the size of the order etc. if I’m buying a bunch of passive components for several builds I always make a tayda order. Resistors and caps are just way cheaper. Stompbox parts for oh I need ic’s pots etc or if I just am missing a random value cap or resistor. I also really appreciate order pots there. Tayda wensite is terrible for ordering pots.
They also are very good about shipping same day. Not just printing the label but actually getting it to the post office same day. Ussually with the cheapest shipping option I order on Monday and the package is to my address in Oregon on Wednesday. As long as I order before around noon pacific.

Back