Flanger To DIY or not to DIY?

I was going to start a flanger thread, but thought it might be good to extend this one instead.

Any update on the EMV2 builds? @beachbum @fig @Feral Feline

Would you recommend it over the MB Current Lover?

In similar fashion to the original post: I like the evh117 and I like the elec mistress. Trying to figure out if I should build or buy. And which one …err… one(s)? :unsure:
Alas, all my kit is in trans-Pacific transit ...

The answer to build or buy is always both, but adapted to each situation based on its own merits — which may mean buying one of something and building nine of another or buying none of something and building wan more time...

We'll have a couple flanger projects soon.... :)

Well, I bought a BF-2 on reverb. I figure that’s the least likely build candidate (for me) and keeps me open for whatever you’ve got brewing.

I mean, let’s face facts: Before this is all over, I’ll have a BF-2, a mxr117, and some sort of mistress circuit. And then @Chuck D. Bones is standing in a shadowy corner of a boneyard saying, “Hey buddy. You like those, come check this out”.

Narrowed down somewhat. Mistress clones have the sound I like most, so cut it down to those but kept 2 outliers that are still tempting.
In no order:
Dreadbox
Camoflange
madbeans mistress
deco
This mistress clone PCB that was on reddit today

I have to think about it some more, but having some sort of kill dry or at least wet/dry control might be the next filter, which would narrow it down further to just the Deco or Camoflange. I think the deadastonaut is the only DIY with a mix control but I need to check that one out a bit more before forming an opinion on it.
Why not just build a couple of em and pick one you like best? It’s what I do then end up keeping and liking them all for different reasons I am a DIY pedal junkie afterall

Bump!

Shoot-out between original Electric Mistress and Mooer E-Lady finally took place.

The young Lady had great bearing and comported herself admirably with clear elocution … but there was just something about the older Mistress that is more beguiling, charming, enchanting even — a richness in voice.

Mistress behind closed doors in the studio;
Lady on the open Stage in public.

Now to dig out my Flanger PCBs and get building…

I spoke to the builder of the emv2 he says adding a mix control would be possible with a small board, so I might try that first and hope someone here can explain me what to do like I’m 5.
I would like to know too. You got it?

Mine arrived yesterday or the day before. I have to put all soldering on hold unexpectedly as my whole house is being turned upside down. So might not get to these (among 2 dozen other projects) until late into the summer :(
Did you build the pedal? let me know what you think

I’ve only had the board 1.5 years, don’t rush me! :ROFLMAO: I’ll round it up and see if I have everything. If so, I’ll put it together in the next few days and let you know my thoughts. (y)
I have a Mooer Eleclady and I'm going to try a buff 'n' blend with it for a mix control.
Rehouse Eleclady would be too complicated, so my plan would be to build this EVM2 pcb and include the mix (if it fits a 125B).

Reactions: fig
I've been itching to scratch my last pedal itch for a good year now, being mostly satisfied with the tape flangers in my computer plugin folder. BUT the call is getting stronger to see if I can get some flanger magic from a pedal. Anything that can do the subtle Police Almost-But-Not-Quite-Chorus of the Mistress and is well made will do. Kill dry or Wet/Dry knob is always useful to me because I use mixers and parallel FX a lot. Anything on top of that is extra gravy.

I'm not opposed to buying one outright if it does something not available in DIY form. There's a discussion going on in the shallow water build doc thread, but I thought it better to put it out in the open.

There's actually a lot of recommendations out there, so many new options have come out recently that I wonder if my interest in pedal flangers isn't being subconsciously influenced by google adwords and youtube demo influencers but I digress,

Is there something you can get from commercial pedals that isn't quite there in the DIY boards? or vice versa? Is there one that nails vintage sounds while still having a low noise floor and cool features? Please share your experiences or opinions, all are welcome, no matter how insignificant they may seem to you.

What other flanger is in the works?
We have the BF-2, but that’s the only one I’ve seen on PPCB so far.

Last edited:
I was gathering parts for a Current Lover when I became aware of the PastFx Reticon, and was able to get one of the few that were available. I’ll still end up building the Current Lover, because, why not? But I’ll second the recommendation for the Elastic Mattress—I mean, come on, just the name deserves recognition. Verlie at PastFX is serious about making good revivals of earlier designs. I’m eyeing their Chorus ensembles, and I already have two choruses that I overuse. (The latest being the Ceasar.)

Back