Forum Search Engine...

Feral Feline

... couldn't find its way out of a paper bag. 😼

How are your searches going, folks?

I often find the forum search engine can't find anything.
"Nothing Found" always most of the time comes up, after which a Google pop-up window comes up with suggestions.

So I often search directly using Google itself then follow the search parameters with " : www.pedalpcb.com", the little addendum of colon and website tells Google not to search the entire Web, but just our cozy corner forum.

Tonight is a perfect example: I typed "FV-1" into the search box, ticked "Titles" and nothing came up; I also tried "FV1" and still nothing.
Both times the Google Pop-up appeared, but with NOTHING related to what I was looking for: the recent-ish thread of FV-1 favourites.

So I typed into Google's home-page search window "FV-1" and later again "FV1" followed with " : www.pedalpcb.com" and I got the same crappy old FV-1 threads the Google Pop-ups gave me.

I typed "fv-1 favorite" into the forum search engine, as expected nada came up so I opened a Google window and typed "fv-1 favorite : www.pedalpcb.com" and lo behold the thread finally came up on the radar:

It's about a year old but Google was initially feeding me two- and three-years-old threads.

So, anyone have trouble using the forum search engine?

The forum search function doesn't like search queries shorter than 4 characters, although I'm unsure why "FV-1" doesn't count as 4.

There is an alternate search add-on available, I'll look into how that might help.

Try it now. :)

This was a bit more involved than a simple "click and play" type of add-on, so we'll have to keep an eye on performance for a little while to ensure there are no issues.

Usually I check the received PCBs against the shipping invoice and label the PCBs as to circuit based on and PPCB's moniker; I'd forgotten to mark up a batch of PCBs with tape-labels, 483 was amongst them.

Search-engining for various forms/permutations of PCB483 nets nothing, at the moment.

It's a one knobber, so I manually searched boosts and found it's the UVPreamp (Univibe Pre).

I've searched for other PPCB boards in the past using their SKU with great success, so I guess this one just isn't yet entered into the library/indexed or somethin'. So more of a heads-up than any real concern.

(480 same thing, just tested a few other SKUs... I made it work before ... 🤔)

Last edited:
Usually I check the received PCBs against the shipping invoice and label the PCBs as to circuit based on and PPCB's moniker; I'd forgotten to mark up a batch of PCBs with tape-labels, 483 was amongst them.

Search-engining for various forms/permutations of PCB483 nets nothing, at the moment.

It's a one knobber, so I manually searched boosts and found it's the UVPreamp (Univibe Pre).

I've searched for other PPCB boards in the past using their SKU with great success, so I guess this one just isn't yet entered into the library/indexed or somethin'. So more of a heads-up than any real concern.

(480 same thing, just tested a few other SKUs... I made it work before ... 🤔)
I grab one from the box, I hold it to my forehead and it comes right to mind what circuit it is. Give it a try...you know you want to.

DON'T HIT "ENTER" !
I can type at a whopping 30wpm, so hitting enter is ingrained.

Thank you Robert. I suspected "user error" once again.

Yeah, now it works for me again.

Meh, I'd rather you continued tracing something, or laying out a PCB than waste time fixing a quirk, and while I don't mind being called a quirk, I'll have you know I'm not little, I'm quite tall — I ate my Shreddies growing up.

Mind, despite all the Shreddies I ate, I still can't shred...

Works every time now, with a slight abnomally:

When I click in the search field to type something, except for the search field, the whole page goes blank. Nonetheless, I type in "PCB ###" and it immediately pulls up that PCB's full page, everything back to normal.

I type in "PCB506", it pulls up the Flock Harmonizing Fuzz right away. If I type "Flock" into the search engine, as before the page goes blank except for the search field, and the 'Suggestion' comes up below the search field as per normal and click on the suggestion and it pulls up the full Flock page.

Type "EQD" hit return and the full list of EQD-inspired boards comes up...

Type "EQD" NO return and all the suggestions come up over the blank page... PPCB search.png
I'm on a six-month old Mac w Safari so speed and clunky ol' web browser is not part of the equation.

Hope this post helps with your re-kajiggering the site.

That's odd, it's like the dropdown box is taking over your entire window...

I'm going to try a couple other search plugins before settling on one, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

I wasn't really looking to overhaul the entire search function like this one did, I just wanted to add the SKU to the search critiera.

Back