Freddie Mercurial Boost

peccary

I just finished this a little bit ago, it's a PedalPCB Mercurial Boost.

I have only spent about 30 minutes playing with it but I think that this may be my first "always on" pedal. And whenever we get the band back together I may just have to have a couple three of them for different songs. I have found a few sweet spots boosting around 7-800Hz that just make my P bass grind like I've never heard it. And the gain is beefy and clean.

I would highly recommend this for bass players. I'm sure that guitar players will love it just as much it's just that I don't have an electric guitar to try it out with. It is a pretty easy build, but I would recommend putting the LED in a different spot than on the build docs (maybe next to the footswitch) as it was a little bit of a wrestling match.

I went back and forth between putting Roberto from Futurama on the pedal or Freddie Mercury (figured that they were both good examples one being literal and the other figurative), but when I decided on gold and cream I just had to pick Freddie. I'm wishing I had a gold LED bezel, now.

I got the artwork from Google - I'm not that talented. I used the no-film waterslide process and there are some rough edges and some toner splotches/shadows that I was unable to remove, but I am still very happy with it.

Anyways, it's been a little bit since I completed a build and I'm stoked about this one. I've got another one on deck that I can hopefully finish up soon, but the need/want to design an enclosure is slowing me down a bit. I've got multiple boards built but am very slow on doing any kind of enclosure design, even though I do them really simple.

Check it out:

merc.jpg merc guts.jpg

Very elegant!. On that recommendation, I'll add it to my wish list!
I need to spend more time with it but it is one of the coolest EQ pedals I've used. I think that just about anyone can find a use for it.

Back