Frequency Interchange Filter (Broughton Audio Low + High Pass Filter)

Joben Magooch

Pretty quick build here. Got it all whipped up, bypass was fine, LED came on, once engaged - no sound.

And here’s the value of visual inspection on display. It’s pretty obvious in the first pic (well, you know, besides not having Jacks…)

IC installed backwards.

I’ve done that far more times than I’d care to admit.

Anyways once that was sorted it worked straightaway, but I do have some questions for those more knowledgeable than I. It’s my understanding that this was more or less designed as a bass pedal. I don’t have a bass at the moment, so just tested with guitar. The low pass side is very noticeable, but the high pass hardly has any perceptible impact to my ear. I’m playing at a fairly low volume right now so perhaps that’s part of it, but I’m also wondering if my guitar just isn’t really hitting much of the frequency (frequencies) it’s “tuned” for on that end of the spectrum.

Otherwise, it sounds quite nice, I’m excited to get it dialed in proper with my bass, whenever I find it….

Special thanks to Guitar Center and Chicago Music Exchange for the hastily-made DIY pot insulators!

I went for a super basic “function over form” vibe that kind of reminded me of like an old tape deck or mixing console with masking tape labels for channels or something like that, I think it kinda works for me.

Attachments

• 4AB914CB-8201-4C55-91BA-A0D80A756963.jpeg
    4AB914CB-8201-4C55-91BA-A0D80A756963.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 27
  • B38F7027-F145-4774-8E56-293EDFE74BCC.jpeg
    B38F7027-F145-4774-8E56-293EDFE74BCC.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 28
I populated/ tested one of these. I haven't used it much on guitar but from how thin it can make my bass signal, I would assume that you'd be able to hear the hpf on guitar. I'm finding the lpf on mine to still be a bit of a wet blanket wide open so we may both be heading to the troubleshooting thread.

Back