Fuzzdog Sonic Churn

RICHB555

Well-known member
Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
In all fairness, I’m probably writing this build report too early before I’ve had a chance to really put some time in with this pedal, but my first impression is that when it comes to SD-9 based circuits, I just may personally prefer the tones of the PPCB Saturnine Distortion over the Fuzzdog Sonic Churn. Sometimes mods can be to someone else’s taste, and that may be the case here.

This Fuzzdog circuit originates with the Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion, and the mods are a result of a collaboration with Michael Landau. Controls for Sharp and Low Mid offer the options of trimmers or board mounted pots. These are both intended as “set and forget” but I opted for pots because I preferred the 5-knob aesthetic.

As I mentioned earlier, I need to put some more time in with this but my initial reaction is that the distortion seems harsh and gritty beyond what I personally find as pleasing hard clipping. I want to try it with other guitars and with added compression before really deciding if this circuit is for me.

The jury is still out, and although this may not be to my own tastes, it is a worthwhile build and others may love it. Landau is a monster player, so there’s got to be something here I’m just not picking up on.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5927.jpeg
    IMG_5927.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5926.jpeg
    IMG_5926.jpeg
    780.7 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top