Fv-1 clock modulation— good idea; bad idea; both?

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
I have a few arachnid boards on the way, and just last night an idea occurred to me that may be brilliant, or it may be a terrible idea— I should modulate the clock time via an expression jack or maybe even an lfo (though the expression jack would be less space-consuming in the enclosure, and I could always make an external lfo expression pedal with a 10K digital pot that could then interface with the arachnid or any other pedal with an expression jack).

I was already going to have a clock module with an external potentiometer, with a toggle switch to select between the clock module or the “stable mode” of the crystal and 15pF cap on each of the builds. That means it would only be one more part to add an expression jack. The only question is… is it just a plain stupid idea? Is there something obvious I’m forgetting in my lack of sleep? It seems like it could be pretty cool for certain algorithms to add a bit of fun.

I can (and will) just test it out after the boards arrive, but in the meantime I thought it might be fun to discuss.

edit: now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure that’s what the expression jack on the Afterneath does. Don’t quote me on that though— I don’t own one and I’m just going off my memory of a 5+ year old proguitarshop video

I think it's a good idea, I've considered making a modulated version of the clock module.

It's a cheap and easy way to add modulation when all the other digital controls are being used for something else.

Modulated version of clock module pleaseeee! would be so sick for the dev board

I was already going to have a clock module with an external potentiometer, with a toggle switch to select between the clock module or the “stable mode” of the crystal and 15pF cap on each of the builds.

@Bricksnbeatles could you please share a pic of how you set this up when you do it? The ability to switch is an awesome idea.
I'm trying to make something similar to the micro looper side of the cba mood and have been wondering if I can just solder a regular pot to where the trimpot would go on the clock module pcb.

Back