Gauss Drive - more bass!!

Probably a jumper. I like to keep my poly caps to 2-3 rows. I could have stretched one to 4 rows but used a jumper instead. I was trying to get the treble connections to the left side of the board and the bass to the right. Nearly got there! I also usually try to get the gain leads closer to the gain pot - ie upper left, and volume leads upper right. This was a difficult circuit to layout for me.

Maybe this will make it clearer (I've made a few changes since the pic posted) It's very much a Flux Drive/BB but more open sounding:

BB.png

Last edited:
Oh - maybe you meant the jumper with the blob in the middle? The blob is where I wrap some thinner wire around the jumper and poke it through the hole to make another connection. I use some wire cut from a resistor and make it into a U shape and poke it either side of the jumper through the hole.

You got me! It's interesting to me that lowering that resistor to Bass 3 from 4K7 to 1K5 has increased bass only slightly - when turned fully open there is more bass but where I have bass set it's not much different.

What is more apparent is the reduction in TS-type mids, which is why it sounds so much more open and frankly better to me. With lots of playing I'm finding I'm still running the bass pot up around 3.00. But because the mids are reduced I'm finding I don't have to run the highs so high. So I am turning treble to around 2.00 instead of 3.00.

So to appease my need to experiment I might change the bass pot to a C50K. The sound is as good as I think I'm going to get from this circuit - it's actually becoming my favourite overdrive because it can do most of what the Majestic/Caliber 45 pedals can do but has a very slightly fuller tone.

Alright - I reckon (with Chuck's incredible help) I have got myself a cracker of an OD here! The change to R16 made the midrange perfect - not all congested like a TS. but it also meant the extreme low-end was now possibly over-bearing. So with's Chuck's advice I made C7 22nF. I should have thought to reduce it from the 1µF because on the BB schematic it's 100nF, not 1µF. In my mod 22nF is perfect. I also made C13 and 15 1µF because 10µF was huge and I still can't hear a difference!

So if anyone has played a BB or Gauss Drive but though it had too much midrange and sounded like a glorified Tube Screamer, here is one way to make it a more open sounding, base overdrive. I really like this one and suspect it may become my main OD.

Modded BB.png

Slap like now!
Subscribe !
Send Bass!!
Epico!!!

Sorry couldn't help myself... Been watching too much davie504 :/

Here is a bid he made today ... One with almost no comedy and just playing. He's a better musician than i'll ever be :p

Aha! Ok I get it now! Cheers. what is it about bass players? I know lots of bass players with weird senses of humour...

Back