Good preamps?

Username123

I am looking for a good preamp for use in a solid-state class d amp build. It needs to have good clean headroom, and not distort to easily. Amp like would be good, but as long as it sounds good, then I don't care! I don't have very many specific preferences for amps, because I only have 2, and the 2nd one I don't use. Also a good pedal platform preamp would be cool. I don't have enough skill for advanced soldering, such as aion's L5 preamp.

Reactions: fig
I actually found one interesting, but it has no pcbs and it is obscure in terms of popularity. It is based on old gibson amps from the 30s. Think Charlie Christian tone. Just wanted to share. Not willing to buy a new pedal. The preamp is called the nocturne junior barnyard. I put it in the wishlist if anyone is interested.

I'm wanting to use a Steel String Clean Drive (PPCB Six String Stinger) clone as the basis of a clean amp. Not sure yet how it would go as a standalone straight into a power amp but I really dig the SRV tone it puts out. Pretty simple build.

+1 for Paladin
I build some class D. For me, sound sterile, good for jazzy player.
Not my cup of tea, prefer 3886 with current feedback mod, push with REVV or some gainiac preamp, can living with that. Yet, still dream have loop in that preamp, just don't know how. I do love sound from tight rock/metal pushed 3886 based.

Would the viceroy work as a good clean base?if you put an overdrive through the preamp, won't the pedal and preamp clip?
I'm just curious.

The paladin looks so tasty I didn't know it existed. It looks like a nice way to split signal at the start of a chain for direct in plus amp recording

Not to hijack the thread topic, but hows Effects Layouts, any other suggestions for PCBs from them? Obviously this is home base, but I ordered a ‘portly provoker’ cuz i wanna expand some horizons and all the part counts seem to be low, plus i have one more 1590b to fill somehow. I like the idea of the site though, didnt know about it previously.

EL's Storyboardist (Dave) has some interesting offerings; I like the ones that are a combo or "his take" on a circuit, a little left of centre, different than YATS, YAFF, JAM, etc...

For example, he has two versions of the 1981's Reinventions DRVel. The first version he made he added some useful features, but I guess people have blinders on and wanted a straight-up clone, so he started offering that, too. I've got the first version with added useful features.

Which reminds me, there's one of his boards I need to recommend to another thread here...

Back