DEMO GOTA/Sheepy Love "PHewe" (Boss PH-1)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Jumping on the bandwagon here, with @Guardians of the analog 's generosity in sharing his collaborations with @szukalsi.

Between @Guardians of the analog and @blackhatboojum 's recent build reports, you'll know that this is a Boss PH-1 (as opposed to the PH-1r).

Of course I have no killer graphics like Clint and Chris, but I did manage to squeak my build into a 1590B:) (By a public hair).

I had totally forgotten that there was a fix that the board needed, even though Chris told me about it weeks ago, I spaced it out and built it without the fix initially.

The phasing was weak and I could barely get to unity gain with the gain trimmer maxed.

Then Chris reminded me that I needed to the cut and jumper and I was like duhhhhhh. So I did it this morning, except I jumped the wrong resistor....sigh, so 3rd times the charm when I went in and fixed my "fix".

Now it sounds awesome!

Unity gain is with the trimmer just around noon on my build. Biasing was a cinch. Small range where it sounds good but it was pretty easy to find by ear.

I got the matched set of JFETS and the JRC3403's from AionFX.
I'm tempted to get the SMD JFET jig for my Peak Atlas. I've got about 150 MMBFJ201's, I bet I've got a few matched sets in there. But I went ahead and bought the set for this build.

IMG_5960.JPG

IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5957.JPG

I had recently built the AionFX Emerald Phaser which is the Boss PH-1r. The "r" designation being that it has a resonance or "regeneration" control that is a frequency based feedback circuit that accentuates the phasing making it sound more like a Mutron if so desired.

So it seemed natural to compare the two in the demo. With the Resonance turned fully off on the Emerald, it's very close. The PHewe to me sounds a bit more "fundamental" than the PH-1r with the resonance turned down. More like an MXR Phase 90.

Very cool project. Many thanks to @Guardians of the analog for always thinking of me when he concocts his Boss-a-palooza projects!
And kudos to @szukalski for his growing chops as a PCB layout dude!

Back