Greengage clipping & LEDs issue

meteorman

Completed a Greengage build and impressed by the gain it puts out.
However, I notice no audible clipping regardless of switch position, and the clipping LEDs do not visibly light up.
In general. should LEDs be visibly illuminated when they are clipping ?
IOW, if they are not visibly lighting up, does that mean they aren't doing their job ?
The lack of any audible clipping effect seems to suggest this... ?

thanks for any insight
/mike

p.s. - looks funny I know, but i had to McGyver the 10M resistor - it metered fine.

Vgrd3wX.jpg

I've seen mention that some circuits won't light up the LEDs, but I've never seen a circuit that didn't.

Perhaps you have a faulty switch?
Try reflowing the solder?

Did you use a on-off-on or on-on?

They should definitely light up when you have them selected. The leads aren't sticking out of the bottom of the board enough to ground out on the enclosure are they? I would use a multimeter to check for continuity between the LEDs and the first two pins on the middle op amp.

i did continuity testing around the whole clipping circuit, and the switch, and all seemed in order.
went from pins 1 and 2 on IC2 down thru R5 and the wiper on the gain pot.
no shorting of the leads - snipped em off tight.
hmmm. this kinda stuff drives me crazy.

Greetings from Germany! Registered to the forum for this topic. Same experience with my build. Lots of gain and output, very subtle difference between the three switch positions. LEDs don't light up. I double check and measure all components before soldering. I have basic electronics knowledge and some measuring equipment, incl. a simple oscilloscope. Everything looks fine, did some signal tracing. Input stage/output stage have unity gain, overdrive stage has lots of gain, flipping the switch gives different distortion curves (looks like intended), of course depending on gain. I tried other OPAs, same picture. The sound is ok, but from what I saw on Youtube I expected way less gain. My impression ist that this is the way it is supposed to work/sound, nothing wrong (Can't compare my build to the original Plumes). I have a second kit waiting to be completed - I'm quite curious if that unit will sound the same.

Jens

i can confirm LEDs don't light up, mode 1 is led clipping very dinamic the most balanced, mode 2 no clipping, is a clean boost lots of volume and little or no distortion, mode 3 diode clipping, less volume, more compression and more distortion, the three modes are very distinct from each other.

Back