SOLVED Grover drive help

gilmouring

Hey guys,

hope this is the right place to post.
Please try to be lenient, this is my first build.

1st question: should I turn this? It says "If you can read this your switch is on the wrong side".
1720722157915.png

2nd question: the guy who sent me the components kit, send some wrong diodes and missed a 120k resistor

1st diode expected was 1N34A (D2) and he sent OA1182 instead
2nd diode expected was 1N4148 (D100) andhe sent 1N5817 (this one I still can't believe it, but 8 years ago I bought some components to build a big muff that I never used...and ta-da! I have the right one. But still curious if they could be swapped (I won't of course)

About the 120K resistor (Would be R9 in the docs), I have a lot of 100K...maybe it's moronic, but can I use a 100K?
I thought about serializing a 100K and a 20K but the space is too tiny...

By the way I opened a claim to the guy, cause I'm still missing the D2...

Here's the result so far

photo_5796279273756148344_y.jpg

Back to the original matter, the more I think about it, the more I think it's the diode...
I'll order one...

I'm resolving the thread for now, but I'll update everyone for future people who decide to build this!

By the way this seem to behave exactly like mine...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, found it.
The ground in the mini pcb caused the noise when the gain was maxed.
Now it's gone.
Works pretty good.
Just curious about the gain...is it normal?

Could it be that second diode that is not the one from the docs?
D2 can be any Germanium diode. They will sound pretty much the same. I would not bother replacing it.

PPCB sold 2 versions of the Grover Drive. You have version 2. It is unclear which version is in the demo. I would not expect them to sound the same. The TRIM setting is a matter of personal preference and will have a profound effect on the gain and overall tone.

Back