Halp! I Need Some Basic Parts Advice From All You Pros...

At some point you just gotta build some pedals
I agree- built two in the last few weeks! One was a kit (BYOC Modded Fuzz), and one was just a pcb (MAE Dark Grime Fuzz) and a handful of parts I was given long ago. Bought and drilled an enclosure as well. Some had chiclet caps, some had box caps, etc etc... Figured it was a good idea to take a breath and learn WHY people choose one component over the other, and where best to get em! I figure it's worth waiting a few days to educate myself before ordering 50 of the WRONG part from 3 different places (which this thread helped me avoid). I get it, though!
I wanted to add one thing to this discussion: it's worth being aware that some MLCC ceramic capacitors (e.g., specifically Class II MLCC's such as XR5, X6S, X7R,...) use high dielectric constant perovskite materials that can have surprisingly large capacitance changes with voltage (both AC and DC).
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll only be using MLCCs for small pF values, and I've heard to stick with C0G/NP0 like these TDKs: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/810-FG28C0G2A100DNT6.

Last edited:
Back