Help a breadboard newbie/clueless guy

I have never used a breadboard in my life. I built one with a power jack, the io jacks and a mini toggle. I am feeding this with a 9V one spot. For fun, I simply wanted to light up an LED but will eventually use this to test pedals and maybe "design" stuff. I am a total newbie, I know enough to be dangerous.

Here is a pic of my experiment. I have the left side VCC to + of ROW 30 and the GND to - of ROW 30.

In ROW 8 I have the + of a red LED in the + of the power reail and the - of the LED in ROW 8 "a".
Then I have a 2.2k resistor in - of "power rail" and the other part in row 8 c.

what I am doing totally wrong here?

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_103101.jpg
    IMG_20210921_103101.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: fig
I have never used a breadboard in my life. I built one with a power jack, the io jacks and a mini toggle. I am feeding this with a 9V one spot. For fun, I simply wanted to light up an LED but will eventually use this to test pedals and maybe "design" stuff. I am a total newbie, I know enough to be dangerous.

Here is a pic of my experiment. I have the left side VCC to + of ROW 30 and the GND to - of ROW 30.

In row 8 I have the + of a red LED in ROW 8 + and the - of LED in ROW 8 a. Then I have a 2.2k resistor in - and the other part in row 8 c.

what I am doing totally wrong here?

Is the LED polarity correct?

Personally, I would plug the resistor to the + power and into row 8. Probably a few holes in. Then I would take the + end of the LED (longer end) into row 8 and the - end of the LED to ground (blue strip).

EDIT: Super stoked to help out a fellow breadboarder!

OK i had a shitty solder on left side which is now fixed and I have 9.2V at the end of my pins. Still not able to get LED to light up.
tried putting resistor to + power and other to row 8. then LED + into row 8 and - of LED to blue. no lighting of LED.

OK i had a shitty solder on left side which is now fixed and I have 9.2V at the end of my pins. Still not able to get LED to light up.
tried putting resistor to + power and other to row 8. then LED + into row 8 and - of LED to blue. no lighting of LED.

Does the LED light when directly connected to the power and ground rails with the correct polarity?

If so, the resistor may need to be smaller. If not, it may be a bad/damaged LED.

YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I must have BURNED out the LED on some other attempts? I tested the LED with a coin battery and it was DEAD. So i grabbed another LED from the bin and it worked on coin cell. I then plugged that one directly to the power rail and blew it up. So i grabbed another LED, tested it on coin cell. then plugged it into row 8 with resistor. and check out this YAHTZEE

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_105354.jpg
    IMG_20210921_105354.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 4
So this raises a question... When I want to see how bright an LED is I use a 3.3v coin cell battery to light them. I must assume that when I did those first few LED test on the board and fed them 9V directly I immediately fried them. Are the pedalpcb and any pedal in general when it comes to the LED, the board somewhere is bringing the voltage down to 3V or such for the LED pads?

LEDs get fried when there's too much power going through it. You may have also gotten a bad LED to begin with. It happens. On many PedalPCB builds there is a specific resistor that goes before the LED and usually, but not always labelled R100. Those resistors have nothing to do with the actual circuit, but merely to drop the voltage and turn on the LED. An example here is in the Mini Muffin Fuzz build doc. https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/MiniMuffinFuzz.pdf

EDIT: The resistor value is really up to you to a certain extent. The higher the value the dimmer the LED will get. The super bright ones I have from Tayda I usually put a 22k in there. Stay away from the lower values since they may hurt the diode.

Even when there are hard clipping diodes in a circuit in many distortion pedals there is a resistor right before those diodes that go to ground. Check out the Distortion 250 build doc (it is R4) to see what I mean. https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/Dist250.pdf

You may want to try one of the tutorials in the Test Kitchen next 🤪. A shameless self-plug, I know, but I'm excited for you learning how to breadboard! If you want a different circuit that isn't there just message me and I'll help out. I've got some time during the days this week.

Just use ohms law for minimum resistance required

Its the current that blows the wee beasties

Standard LEDs are around 20mA sticking 9v on it you'd want minimum 450 ohms resistance

9 ÷ 0.02 = 450

But that would probably burn yer eyes out

You can stick your current limiting resistor on either LED pin it'll still stop it conducting too much current

I'm a 10K CLR man myself I like them to be as dim as me

You can see the CLR in the power section of the schematics ppcb usually use a 4K7 and as @BuddytheReow said usually R100 odd

As you can see here it's attached to the LED cathode R103

20210921_201725.jpg

You guys are.. wizards....

So the "power rail" running down the side is always "hot". What I want to do on my next pedal (even though they are all going well) is test the output before wiring the switch to it and before wiring the io and batt.. rock it before box it.

if i solder some leads to the + and - of the DC power part of the PCB at the top and plug those leads into the breadboard, this will give my pedal juice. i then run the - and + of the IO jacks from the PCB into the breadboard and should be able to test without having to wire in the stomp switch etc ... that is the goal for right now.

Back