Help me understand Wahs with Fuzz Faces and buffers!

albinalbinj

Hi,
I've read so much about this subject that I think I'm starting to go crazy, so I figured I would turn to others who could help me. I have a Wah and a Fuzz Face, and I can do the whole "oscillating FF"-thing when running the Wah into the FF, and it's not a great sound, so I want to learn how to remedy that.

When reading, I've found very conflicting info, I've found the Foxrox and Area 51 buffers claiming to have low impedance buffers which are FF friendly, and I've also read about a resistor in series on the output of the Wah to increase impedance to help the FF work as it should, basically contradicting the Foxrox/Area 51. I thought the FF needed the impedance from the guitar pickups, so a low impedance buffer should not work, right? I've also found the Jam Pedals Wahcko which states that they have their own bufferless circuit that enables you to have the FF after the Wah. I also know that it's generally said that buffers before FF is a bad idea, so I can't figure this whole thing out.

I'm very confused on what the solution for this problem is, and also how the best solution actually works, if it should be high or low output impedance from the Wah etc. I would be very thankful if someone could just give me pointers on the theoretical and electronic theory on why these two pedals struggle to cooperate, so I could learn from it. Like does the FF want high or low impedance, and whatever the case is, what is the best way to achieve this?

Thankful for any help or insights

Last edited:
Back