SOLVED help with d3lay troubleshoot

Big_Other

Hi!

So I just finished building the d3lay pedal. It was working perfectly, until I -somehow- accidentally turned the DC jack causing the +9V to touch the upper middle pot for a maximum of 30 seconds.

After fixing the DC jack properly this time, the LED turned on but now there is nothing but dry sound coming through - I suspect it must have fried an active component, but have no idea how to check this.

What component would be likely to be the culprit? Any tips on how to check this? I'd love to hear your takes...

Reactions: fig
Measure on the outer pins (1 and 3) of IC4 (L78L33).

Just so I'm clear, are you saying the DC jack rotated and touched the metal housing of the pot, or the lugs/pins?

Sounds like you have a short somewhere on the 3.3V line. It could be the FV-1 IC but I would rule out any other possibilities first.

Make sure nothing is making contact that shouldn't with any of these points in red.

1652014497888.png

Excellent! I couldn't quite wrap my head around how grounding the 9V supply would damage anything on the 3.3V line but stranger things have happened. Glad to hear that wasn't the case!

I'd slap some heat shrink tubing around those DC jack lugs as well.

Excellent! I couldn't quite wrap my head around how grounding the 9V supply would damage anything on the 3.3V line but stranger things have happened. Glad to hear that wasn't the case!
Gotcha…I mistakenly assumed it made contact with a pin, not the housing. :)

Back