hfe tips for Uberfuzz Qs?

Rectie

Anybody out there know what the ideal hfe range is for each transistor in the Uberfuzz? I have some 2SC828s, but they range from 80 - 360. I'm assuming BM range is what we're seeking, but any real world advice would be appreciate. Thanks in advance.

I find that the 110-140 hFE range works well for the Super Fuzz. Just remember to match the gains for Q4 and Q5 for maximum octave overtones. If your transistors measure on the higher end, consider trying 2N5551s. I used those in my recent Super Fuzz build and they were perfect.

Oh, and if you end up using 2SC828s, make sure to check their pinout (and pin placement on the PCB) first. I've seen transistors labeled as 2SC828s with both EBC and ECB pinouts.

I find that the 110-140 hFE range works well for the Super Fuzz. Just remember to match the gains for Q4 and Q5 for maximum octave overtones. If your transistors measure on the higher end, consider trying 2N5551s. I used those in my recent Super Fuzz build and they were perfect.

Oh, and if you end up using 2SC828s, make sure to check their pinout (and pin placement on the PCB) first. I've seen transistors labeled as 2SC828s with both EBC and ECB pinouts.
What a bullseye response! I'll probably bail on the 828s since they're all over the wall. I'll see if I can snag the 5551s of which you speak. Thanks a million for the advice!!

Back