Highlander External Power

dlazzarini

A buddy of mine just acquired a 9volt external power box made by Highlander Musical Audio Products. From what I can tell it uses a stereo cable from which the ring terminal carries the 9volts from a battery to power the preamp for the pickup inside the acoustic instrument. There is no option on this box for an external power supply. He wants to know if I can add an input jack for 9volt external power instead of using a battery. Normally I would have said no problem but I’m thinking there may be a reason they don’t offer that option. Does anyone have any experience with these power boxes or know off hand if adding external power to the ring terminal on the stereo cable would somehow damage the preamp? Am I seriously overthinking this?

A buddy of mine just acquired a 9volt external power box made by Highlander Musical Audio Products. From what I can tell it uses a stereo cable from which the ring terminal carries the 9volts from a battery to power the preamp for the pickup inside the acoustic instrument. There is no option on this box for an external power supply. He wants to know if I can add an input jack for 9volt external power instead of using a battery. Normally I would have said no problem but I’m thinking there may be a reason they don’t offer that option. Does anyone have any experience with these power boxes or know off hand if adding external power to the ring terminal on the stereo cable would somehow damage the preamp? Am I seriously overthinking this?
The only reason I can think of is not enough room, but there's cliff DC jacks where most of the barrel part is on the outside of the pedal. They also allow you to solder the jack to the pedal and then stuff it into the box since the nut is on the outside.

The only reason I can think of is not enough room, but there's cliff DC jacks where most of the barrel part is on the outside of the pedal. They also allow you to solder the jack to the pedal and then stuff it into the box since the nut is on the outside.

Could be a room thing. I haven’t had the opportunity to look inside yet.

No problem at all. That’s what I do, with a homemade version of the same thing. EMG also makes one, and there has a power jack as well.
Probably a good idea to tack a good amount of power filtering on the dc jack though, just because.

Back