How to mount these 9mm pots to a case

Bucksears

Is it possible to mount these in a case?

I want to use these as semi-set-and-forget trims for the back of a pedal, or (eventually) a Zvex Seek Wah clone. Don't want to use hot glue. Wondering if there's a way to solder it to the case somehow, or solder it into vero and somehow mount THAT to something in the case.
Open to suggestions - thx!

Last edited:
Is it possible to mount these in a case?

I want to use these as semi-set-and-forget trims for the back of a pedal, or (eventually) a Zvex Seek Wah clone. Don't want to use hot glue. Wondering if there's a way to solder it to the case somehow, or solder it into vero and somehow mount THAT to something in the case.
Open to suggestions - thx!
Standoffs mounted to the enclosure

Will you have other pots in the build? If they are all PCB mounted the regular pots will hold the rest.

I believe this is what you may want?
Not in Stock at the moment.

SynchroWah Mockup Pedal:

synchro-wah-mockup-pedalt-jpg.27895

Long story short/explanation:
It's going to be a dirt pedal in a large case, and I'd like to put the Boost and Presence pots on the back with the in/out & power jacks. I'm trying to keep these pots low-profile - don't want regular knobs on the back, just something small, slightly recessed that I can make minor adjustments to when needed.
I can cobble something together if need be, but wanted to see if there is a commonly used method first.

You could just install trimmers internally and dial it in once to your liking. Just throwing that out there
Yeah, that's the most obvious and easiest option. Thought about that, but I know I'll want to tweak it more often than I want to open the case.
That's totally on me and my itch to change it up. o_O

Or if the enclosure is deep enough for them , just mount regular pots to the component side of the pcb. Its not set-and-forget if you plan to tweak it.

A piece of light gauge angle iron 10mm internally on 1 side so you can drill the 2 holes to mount/solder the base of the pot.
The other leg will be governed by height of the pot in the case to be secured to the pedal top.

Pesonally, I would just use 9mm pots with smooth shaft with threaded nut & use some black shrink & black ink the top!

Last edited:
Duct tape. But seriously, Tayda has some standoffs if you want to look at them to get a better idea. I’ve only seen them used in addition to board mounted 16mm pots which holds them in place.

You could put them on vero and put rivnuts in the case. If you already have the tool and nuts, pretty easy, aside from actually getting them *into* the case with the given clearance.
Stand off would work too.
With both of those options, you'll be working around the strip of vero or proto they are mounted too.
Or spend $3 on a couple 9mm pots with mounting nuts.
Or mount trimmers on the board and drill holes in the box for easy access.

Use the 9mm pots with bushings if it has to be road-worthy.

(if not, I'd just use hot glue.) i know you said no hot glue. :)

Another, less practical approach, if you don't care for the eventual failure, is to precisely super glue knob on them where the super glue and knob are the only thing holding them in place.
Note. This is a terrible idea and would likely lead to failure on multiple fronts.

Pesonally, I would just use 9mm pots with smooth shaft with threaded nut & use some black shrink & black ink the top!
This.

And there are condam-like caps in many colours to cover the shaft.
Synthcube or Thonk has these types of caps, I think, or maybe it was SBP… some vender or other.

You can even cut the shaft shorter, paint and notch it for an indicator or even slot the top to adjust by flathead screwdriver/ loose change / guitar-pick/ thumbnail…

This.

And there are condam-like caps in many colours to cover the shaft.
Synthcube or Thonk has these types of caps, I think, or maybe it was SBP… some vender or other.

You can even cut the shaft shorter, paint and notch it for an indicator or even slot the top to adjust by flathead screwdriver/ loose change / guitar-pick/ thumbnail…
I condome this, extra protection is a good thing!

Back