SOLVED Hyped Fuzz Noise

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Hey Guys,

Finally put together a hyped fuzz and tested before boxing and noticed quite a lot of hum. At first I thought it was grounding issues, but the ground loop seems complete. I turned down the volume of my guitar and am still getting a lot of noise. Below is a video with the guitar turned down and the effect maxed out. I should get virtually no noise, right? Can anyone help? I tried switching to a 9v battery and some of it went away, but it's still there. Are my wires just too long? The effect works correctly.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Finally put together a hyped fuzz and tested before boxing and noticed quite a lot of hum. At first I thought it was grounding issues, but the ground loop seems complete. I turned down the volume of my guitar and am still getting a lot of noise. Below is the link. Can anyone help? I tried switching to a 9v battery and some of it went away, but it's still there. Are my wires just too long? The effect does work.

Also heres a pic of the board

board

Attachments

• A92F57DE-FA6A-4270-9B3C-993846E393A1.jpeg
    A92F57DE-FA6A-4270-9B3C-993846E393A1.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 26
If the effect works and all the pots function correctly it could be all that antenna, I mean wire you have laying on the ground. :LOL: It won't be the first time I've seen excessive wire acting as an antenna. as long as everything works, try boxing it up and see what happens. Fuzz circuits are noisy to start with.

If the effect works and all the pots function correctly it could be all that antenna, I mean wire you have laying on the ground. :LOL: It won't be the first time I've seen excessive wire acting as an antenna. as long as everything works, try boxing it up and see what happens. Fuzz circuits are noisy to start with.
Thanks. I’ll try to box it up today and see if that changes anything. Appreciate the response. I’ll circle back one way or the other.

So, after boxing it up and alligator clipping the power cables a lot of the noise did go away. However, I switched the daisy chained wall wart to a 9v battery snap and MOST of the noise went away. Not 100%, but close enough. I know, I know... noise reduction 101 is to remove daisy chains, but I made a Sanguine Distortion earlier in the year (TONS of gain!) and had no problems with noise. I wonder why that is....

Anyway, now the question is do I buy a singe wall wart, a battery snap with 2.1mm plug, or simply suck it up with my current daisy chain?...

Thanks for your help, @Chas Grant

Every now and then when I turn this pedal on the volume/gain gets cut. The "fix" for this has been for me to manually pick it up and bang it against my pedal board until it goes back to normal. Not as violently as you may think, but this is definitely an issue. Other than the socketed items possibly being loose, what else should I look for? Cold solder joints on the pots? See above pic.

I personally don't socket my transistor, specifically for this reason. To many times they loosen up. If your happy with the overall sound of the pedal you can tack the transistors into place. Small amount of solder on one leg only should hold them in place. That way its easier if you get a bug to change them out at a later date.

Every now and then when I turn this pedal on the volume/gain gets cut. The "fix" for this has been for me to manually pick it up and bang it against my pedal board until it goes back to normal. Not as violently as you may think, but this is definitely an issue. Other than the socketed items possibly being loose, what else should I look for? Cold solder joints on the pots? See above pic.
Cold solder on the volume pot.

Back