I don't know jack

I use all of them, depends on what fits and what mood I'm in.

There are some shitty open-frame jacks that should be avoided. On the left is a vintage Switchcraft jack. On the right is a cheap Chinese jack removed from my Squier Strat. Shame on you, Fender!

good jack - crap jack.jpg

Sometimes the jacks are a real tight fit! On the output jack I cut off an unused lug and bent the other two.

Fuzz innards 02.jpg

I have a confession to make…. I have stopped passing my leads through the holes in the solder tabs… I know that god is a very very angry at me and I will likely rot in hell, but I just can’t see any reason for doing it in the context of a guitar pedal. It’s not like they’re gonna “shake loose” or get yanked on. And given the number of times I wire something wrong, or wish to adjust the cable length to tidy things up it makes it about a thousand times easier to unsolder to fix things. I feel so dirty and alone…
I always do the mechanical connection before I solder them. The main reason is it keeps it in place as I solder it.

I use all of them, depends on what fits and what mood I'm in.

There are some shitty open-frame jacks that should be avoided. On the left is a vintage Switchcraft jack. On the right is a cheap Chinese jack removed from my Squier Strat. Shame on you, Fender!

View attachment 40035

Sometimes the jacks are a real tight fit! On the output jack I cut off an unused lug and bent the other two.

View attachment 40036
Gotta stagger them in those skinny/1590A enclosures!
IMG_5723.jpg
It's amazing how much space you can free up using Lumberg jacks, along with a compact 3PDT switch

I use whatever suits the build at hand.

Sometimes Lumberg are NOT the right ones for a build (even though I tend to cram stuff into smallest enclosure possible).

I can't think of specifics at the moment, but there are times when each proves itself best for a given build.

FYI, I finally determined that the "resist taking solder" thing is because they are basically huge heat sinks. I just leave the iron on for a count of 5 or six before apply the solder, Flows on great.

I'll definitely grab some enclosed jacks, they are more compact and will help save my butt when i botch my top drill alignment.
If you try the Lumberg style get the real thing, the knock off's suck

Back