I got a breadboard. Now what do I do?

DAJE

Actually I got two: a regular 400 pointer and a smol 170 pointer because why not? And I have another 400 pointer coming from Tayda in the near future (all today's stuff is from AliExpress).

I also got 60+ jumper wires in various lengths and colours. Got some with sockets at one end the other day.

I have a ProtoBoard Micro on the way whenever USPS passes it to Australia Post who will then deliver it to me. That could be weeks away, though. I'll be surprised if it's not, frankly.

Anyway, I tested connections with my multimeter and various jumpers etc. I made a super simple LED test circuit and it worked properly. So, now what?

I've looked at some of the tutorials here, but I feel like I really need some "special education" level projects to get me started. So, who's got recommendations? The dumber the better, you will not offend me by assuming I know very little about this subject.

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 9
  • MBB.jpg
    MBB.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 9
  • JW1.jpg
    JW1.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 8
  • JW2.jpg
    JW2.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Love
Reactions: fig
I use the breadboard sometime when I want to try some pedal but I'm not sure if I really want to build it. If I don't like it too much I try to change some parts.
For example, now I have on my breaboard the LoFo Mofo. I didn't like it how I thought. Later my friend want to hear it, and then I play around the schematic to add some features. Now I like it a bit more, I could build it for myself, too.

I have gone through the same dilemma and still churning this path.

I've found the following useful:

Then I followed up with an El Sol following the schematic:

I really should learn how to use a breadboard. I love modifying circuits and my favourite ODs are mostly very modified circuits. I tend to use Vero a lot and have got good at resoldering on it. It's very forgiving. But a breadboard would be easier I'm sure.

I think the key is to identify something you want to change. I think all overdrive pedals should have a bass pot, for example, and with help from people who actually know what they are doing I have been able to try various ways of doing this.

Is there a pedal that you really like but wish it did _____? Having a goal makes it all a lot easier. Want more low end? Think the highs are a bit piercing? You could find a circuit you like, set it up as per the schematic on the bread board then try modifying it by swapping values here and there. There are some amazing folks here who can guide you along the way - I am extremely grateful to some of them.

The Bazz Fuss circuit @Dan M mentioned is a phenomenal dirt circuit to try out. The LPB-1 booster is a close second only because it has a few more parts needed. Plus, who doesn’t like a good dirt circuit!

Nearly every component of the circuit can be tweaked to your liking. If you want, you can make two in series with a germanium diode in the second transistor for an octave up effect (it’s called the buzz box).

Here’s a picture of my bazz fuss on my board. The resistor needs to be moved over 1 column to the left to connect with the collector pin, but you get the general idea. I used 100n for the input and output caps, but experiment and see what you like there.
You technically don’t need the volume pot, but it’s nice to have. All it does is throw signal to ground.

1655983994665.png

Attachments

• 10DA95B5-9A13-4121-A7EE-F7FFEE83C7CE.jpeg
    10DA95B5-9A13-4121-A7EE-F7FFEE83C7CE.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 10
Electra drive is good starter too
Agreed. It is an LPB-1 derivative so I would check out the writeup I did.

@DAJE if you need some pointers or feel like you're struggling you can shoot me a DM and I'll help you out. The key to breadboarding is understanding how a breadboard is laid out and translating a schematic. I find that transistor-based circuits are a bit easier to start out with. Just keep the pinouts in mind.

Agreed. It is an LPB-1 derivative so I would check out the writeup I did.

@DAJE if you need some pointers or feel like you're struggling you can shoot me a DM and I'll help you out. The key to breadboarding is understanding how a breadboard is laid out and translating a schematic. I find that transistor-based circuits are a bit easier to start out with. Just keep the pinouts in mind.
Thanks, I might take you up on that. I tend to work slowly when I'm learning, not going to rush into it. The Bazz Fuss is something I was already interested in, so I think that's a great candidate for my first breadboard build. I have most of the components already.

I also mention in the "tips and tricks" writeup I did a while back that there is no "correct" way to breadboard a circuit. The circuit will either work or not work. For example, if I gave 2 people a blank piece of paper and asked them to draw me a bird, they will not be the same picture but you can tell they're both birds. A breadboard is nothing more that a blank canvas for electronics. Just be patient, think through what you're trying to do, and have fun!

Here's the writeup I did if you feel like reading.

Thanks, I might take you up on that. I tend to work slowly when I'm learning, not going to rush into it. The Bazz Fuss is something I was already interested in, so I think that's a great candidate for my first breadboard build. I have most of the components already.
As long as you're learning who cares how long it takes! Once you get something working correctly you'll want to start tweaking a circuit. "What happens if I pull out this resistor? What happens if I substitute the transistor?" You won't know until you do it. That's where the REAL learning happens.

As long as you're learning who cares how long it takes! Once you get something working correctly you'll want to start tweaking a circuit. "What happens if I pull out this resistor? What happens if I substitute the transistor?" You won't know until you do it. That's where the REAL learning happens.
Looking forward to it. :)

Follow @BuddytheReow 's tutorials here. I popped my breadboard cherry with them and now I have TWO breadboards going at all times. Madness. Currently trying to make a Fuzzrite less noisy before building it on turret board. The other one has a Fuzz Face on it, of course.

@DAJE all this talk about the Bazz Fuss inspired me whip something up on a breadboard real quick during my lunch break today. After testing it and subbing the collector resistor a few times, here's a neat little fuzz/OD circuit for you. If you want you don't have to install the trimmer/pot at the emitter and simply jumper it to ground. The trimmer adjusts the gain. The 100uf cap in the rails is not 100% necessary in the power rails if you have a protoboard, but it is good practice. The 10n input cap worked nicely with my humbucker, but you may want to up it to 22n or 24n if you have single coils.

Edit: You also don't need the volume pot either, but it's nice to have. As you turn it down it will reduce some of the highs as well, but not a whole lot.

I will call this the "Wish Not, Buzz Not"

Enjoy!
1656007647933.png

1656007561191.png

Last edited:
@DAJE all this talk about the Bazz Fuss inspired me whip something up on a breadboard real quick during my lunch break today. After testing it and subbing the collector resistor a few times, here's a neat little fuzz/OD circuit for you. If you want you don't have to install the trimmer/pot at the emitter and simply jumper it to ground. The trimmer adjusts the gain. The 100uf cap in the rails is not 100% necessary in the power rails if you have a protoboard, but it is good practice. The 10n input cap worked nicely with my humbucker, but you may want to up it to 22n or 24n if you have single coils.

Edit: You also don't need the volume pot either, but it's nice to have. As you turn it down it will reduce some of the highs as well, but not a whole lot.

I will call this the "Wish Not, Buzz Not"

Enjoy!
I will certainly make this, and I thank you for doing it. I happen to have some MPSA18s in my transistor stash box. I have most parts, just waiting for a bunch of trimmers and then it's go time.

Back