I made a mistake building my Red Herring. Could anybody more more experienced help with some quick advice?

So I am very new to this and ordered the Red Herring Overdrive PCB (3 of them really) and accidently put the 47u cap where the 22 u goes. I went about removing the cap and clearing the solder in all the wrong way and ended up messing up the Positive terminal on the PCB so now It just sort of wiggles in there. Looking at the schematic I see that the negative would be an easy fix to just lead to ground, but can anybody tell me where I might run a lead from the positive end to complete the circuit?

Big thanks if you can help me get this pedal working!

Check to make sure you have Continuity between 1M circled & OpAmp Pin 5/10k circled
Yes , jumper fromC101 + side to OpAmp Pin 5 /10K spot as circled or 1M circled.

Good advice from the other Phil. This isn’t pertinent to your situation currently but for learning purposes:

C100 and C101 exist to filter (smooth out) any ripple or noise in the DC power. 47u would have worked just fine (arguably slightly better).

Yes Precisely! I had figured I could tap into R101 but didn't know which end. This worked perfectly and the Snapper is Snapping now! (Or Herring is herring now I should say)

Thank you so much for the detailed answer, you really made my day! and also to the other follow ups as well. I still have much to learn in all of this so any information is very helpful and appreciated!

Sounds incredible BTW and Red Snapper was taught to me as a secret weapon for recording bass by producer/bassist Jim Wirt (Incubus, Hoobastank, Alien Ant Farm, etc) I honestly haven't used one in person since our sessions together over 10 years ago but this instantly gave me a smile when I plugged a bass through it and gave me the sound I remembered. Also great on the guitar!

Hi!!

Someone could help me trying to build this Red Herring PCB with less gain (like 30-50% less) and without byte knob

Thanks!!!!

I really wish I hadn't seen this thread. As if I don't have enough in the queue already, let alone yet another dirt pedal.

Why does the Red Snapper have to Wirt so well with bass? 😾

Excuse me while I go add this to my wish list...

Added.

@Travis
Byte-sized problem: build the pedal with the Byte pot offboard wired, set it to where you like, and then measure the resistance the pot has, then take the nearest resistor value to that number and solder it between the PCB-Byte pads 2 & 3.

For gain reduction... hmm maybe use a A500k pot instead of A1M for the gain, and then drop R4 down as well to 5k6; or better yet, wait for someone who really knows what they're talking about to advise you. 😸

FF has good advice, those would work. A couple other options:

For bite, jumper bite pot pads 2-3, put a socket where R5 goes. Audition resistors in R5 socket between 1k and 26k.

for gain reduction, using 500kA pot is a good idea. You could also add a resistor in parallel with gain pads 1-2. Like a 1M resistor would make the max gain 500kohms, but the taper may be a bit odd. But you can fine tune the exact gain reduction with the knob at max by selecting the parallel resistor.

Hi!
I built my first pedal, the Red Herring.
I liked the result, however the Volume in 8 hours is already too high, and 9 hours is an exaggeration.
And the Gain is practically unchanged when turning the knob.
Bite and Cut are working correctly.
Could you give me tips on where the Volume and Gain problem could be?
thanks.

Hi!
I liked the result, however the Volume in 8 hours is already too high, and 9 hours is an exaggeration.
thanks.
Start your own issue in the troubleshooting thread & supply good pictures of the PCB showing the resistors, caps & Pot Values.
Youneed a good picture of the back of the PCB also.:

Hi!
thanks.
For the volume: I see that the schematic says use a B250K pot. Try an A250K. That's exactly what audio taper pots are for. As for the gain pot, well, we'd need to see pictures.

Back