Important: Dust Covers for 16mm Potentiometers!

music6000

I believe this is mandatory for Dust covers on Pots under the PCB.
It is a on going Issue that should be standard practice in Builds.
This stops the PCB from shorting out on the metal back of the Pot :
They come standard with Tayda Alpha 16mm Pots.
UPDATE: Alpha stopped supplying Tayda Pots with Dust Covers on some 16mm Potentiometers.
You need to Order the Dust Cover separately!
5 Cents each!

DustCover for 16mm Potentiometers.jpg

Last edited:
I've always been the guy that says Condoms removes all the feel.... Who needs condoms!
Also, all my pedals are infected, so now I use them religiously.. lol
I had the literal ONE time I didn't use a dust capped POT cause a short due to clearance issues when I built the UberDrive... I was like "seriously, the one time I didn't wrap it up?" haha

Or use milk tabs hot glued on ...

That's seriously annoying though. All my Alphas have the covers, I'm used to that and now they want me to PAY? They should've continued including them for "free" and just upped the price of the pots overall to keep their bottom-line accountants (and me) happy-ish.

Has anyone else found that not putting a cover on makes them turn much more smoothly? It's as if the cover creates a vacuum effect and they're much stiffer.

saying it turns in to a restrictive ring at times making it harder for use?anyways I do need to order another mountain of the things had stretch where all the pots got nowhere near the boards either all at the edge or enough that I just had to solder them not fully seated it made a decent gap that impacts from dropping didn't move the board.

Musikding supplies little black rubber pads with their kits, but they don't protect the sides. They seem to be like rubber feet for enclosures.

Last edited:
Cabinet drawer bumpers work well. No dust protection though. $0.03 per in 200 qty.

61kO8LbXraL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Does anyone know where to get them other than on Tayda? Specifically in Europe. Tayda is out of the game for me. I was searching a lot and couldn't find it even on Aliexpress. :unsure:

Here are a few link to european shops:

some of them also have dust covers for 24mm or other colors.

Bzzz

Cross pollination...

What I'm using (as shown elsewhere):

71e64868-dc7d-4d0a-bf6f-61f6fd0d5b92-jpeg.45829

The puffy-stickers worked better than the black pot-condoms in the pic (black things lower left). As you can see the puffy-stickers are lower profile, they don't have the nipple reservoir end of the pot-condoms — so the pot-shaft slides into the enclosure more easily and has a better fit.

REMEMBER, KIDS!
Puffy stickers should NOT be confused with POT-STICKERS!

B559EEB4-813F-42AF-987A-5BC6A02BCC79.jpeg

I tried, but they didn't work so well. (Maybe because that's a Xiao Long Bao and not a pot-sticker?)

Safety TIp: Don't eat, drink or be Mary when soldering — unless of course your name is Mary, but still don't eat or drink while handling solder

Last edited:
Back