Inexpensive power supply

Just picked one of these up because I’m getting some digital “whine” from my “isolated” (quotations because they say they are but they can’t be if this is happening) supplies:

I’ll replace one of my 2 board supplies for now and likely. It a duplicate and have 2 of them for the whole board. I’ll run both Strymon units and my Roctary off this for now to kill the whine.

I’ve never found isolation to be an issue until I purchased my Strymon units. Digital pedals really need isolated taps.

My $35 otraki supplies are great for everything else but my digital pedals definitely need to be segregated.

I’ve never found isolation to be an issue until I purchased my Strymon units. Digital pedals really need isolated taps.

My $35 otraki supplies are great for everything else but my digital pedals definitely need to be segregated.
Strymon made me realize that the effects loop in one of my amps was creating a ground loop too 😞

The thing is, the truly isolated supplies have a transformer, rectifier, filter and regulator for each output.

If you're not going to do that, then all of your DIY hours are going to result in something just as good or worse than the $35 Donner unit.

can you get by with just one transformer, but an individual secondary (and rectifier, filter, regulator) for each output?

I’ve seen diy projects both ways, just wondering if there is actually a difference.

can you get by with just one transformer, but an individual secondary (and rectifier, filter, regulator) for each output?

I’ve seen diy projects both ways, just wondering if there is actually a difference.

That works as well. Weber sells a pedalboard power supply transformer like that.

That's a good question. I'd think you'd need a transformer with multiple secondaries, rather than multiple taps, for ground isolation. That's probably how the pro / truly isolated units are designed.

Like this:
1630431624569.png

Back