Informant Drive (1981 DRV)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So I had zero clue what this pedal was about when I popped it in my cart a few orders ago.

I finally got around to doing some research on it and watching demo's and got super interested and built it out yesterday.

Man, this has got to be the coolest and most versatile Rat based pedal ever! Extremely cool.
It has so many different uses and tones and I've barely scratched the surface.

It can definitely do the Rat thing quite well.
But it goes way beyond that, what I find the most interesting is its low gain applications. The CUT knob is the star of this pedal. It's got an incredible amount of range and with the gain all the way down it can add clarity and definition to another drive pedal or dirty amp.

With the gain barely cracked it can do the low gain thing with just about any type of pickup or amp combination.

Crank the gain and you're in full on distortion, but if you want more clarity than a Rat, dial back the CUT and it becomes and searing distortion pedal.
So cool!

After seeing @swelchy 's build I I decided to copy him and house this in a 1590BB as a nod to the original, although I think the knobs are too big. Might have to hunt around for some slightly smaller aluminum knobs.

The way it's laid out the controls are somewhat reversed with the gain knob being in the middle and the cut knob on the right.

I recorded a demo going through the range of sounds you can get out of this pedal but it's only a small sample.

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

Can I ask you a little question about the curve of the volume pot ? Mine seems to be slightly under Unity before 3 o'clock and then boost much after it. Is it a normal behaviour or did I made a mistake somewhere. I was thinking about replacing the Log Pot by a Lin. Thanks for your input.

Can I ask you a little question about the curve of the volume pot ? Mine seems to be slightly under Unity before 3 o'clock and then boost much after it. Is it a normal behaviour or did I made a mistake somewhere. I was thinking about replacing the Log Pot by a Lin. Thanks for your input.
Sounds like something's wrong. As you can see from my demo, unity for me was around noon. Maybe a bum pot?

Back