Input Switcher

duffy_lane

I'm trying to make a box that uses a rotary switch to select between multiple inputs, then, using a DPDT switch, send the output through a pedal board, or just output the direct/dry signal.
This is what I have so far, it "works" but introduces a ton of noise when my synth is selected and I feel like I'm only supposed to have one wire going to the tip of the output jack
I'm definitely failing to grasp some fundamentals on this design and would appreciate any help or resources.
input_switcher.png

You shouldn’t have two wires going to the output. You’re basically making an antenna with the floating wire.

Ref a regular pedal 3PDT bypass wiring scheme. Omit the LED pole. Wire the common of the rotary as the in jack, the send as the effect in, the return as the effect out, and the output as the out jack.

EDIT: Just omit the red wire to the output and bridge the bottom two lugs of the DPDT switch

Last edited:
You shouldn’t have two wires going to the output. You’re basically making an antenna with the floating wire.

Ref a regular pedal 3PDT bypass wiring scheme. Omit the LED pole. Wire the common of the rotary as the in jack, the send as the effect in, the return as the effect out, and the output as the out jack.

EDIT: Just omit the red wire to the output and bridge the bottom two lugs of the DPDT switch
Awesome! Thank you!
I played around with my multimeter in continuity mode after bridging the DPDT switch and have a better understanding of how the DPDT switch works. I watched a few videos but had to get hands on to wrap my head around this.

This brought the noise down significantly but didn't get rid of it.
I've read about people using a capacitor to get rid of RF.
After injecting a 0.1uf film capacitor into different parts of the circuit, running the cap from the tip of the output jack to ground makes the signal clean and I don't hear any obvious filtering on the source (will have to test that in REW)

Is this the correct way to go about this? Is there a better approach?
I thought I was supposed to place the capacitor only between the grounds from what I've read.

You shouldn’t need a cap if the box is grounded and your wiring is correct (no ground loops, rings properly grounded).

Back