Irrlicht

spi

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I haven’t had too much time to play with it, but my first impression is this is a righteous drive pedal. It’s a variation on the old 250/Dist+. From memory this has a slightly different feel (improved IMO). I’d like to do an A/B test, but I gave away my 250. I plan to build another soon so eventually I will be able to compare.

The parts sheet calls for 2 pairs of 1n60 Ge diodes. I only had the Shottky kind of 1n60s, but to add some germanium goodness paired a 1n60 with a Ge D9B (being more cost effective than using all Ge). With this circuit, the Vf of the pair on the switch needs to be below the Vf of the 1n4148 (otherwise they’d have no effect). I measured the Vf of 1n4148 at ~640mv, the 1n60 at ~270mv, and the D9B at ~300mv, so this combo works well.

The artwork is just something I doodled on paper during a meeting, and looked “whitelightish” so copied it on the pedal with a posca pen--it looked cooler on ink and paper than sloppily scribbled onto the pedal--trying to reproduce a spontaneously drawn doodle never quite matches the original. There's also a trick I learned AFTER I already poorly drew two pedals: put another enclosure next to one you're drawing to support your hand and it's much easier to write/draw. If I had figured this out before I it may have been better.

The coating is epoxy but this one didn’t turn out very good—I tried to go ultra thin because epoxy can be pretty thick. Now I know that it needs to be thick, as the thin layer didn’t have enough substance to run and even out, leaving lot of valleys.

IMG_20230107_174553783_HDR.jpg IMG_20230107_174606222.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking build! I love the "doodle" art that you put on there.

What'd you end up using for the 475k resistor? I can't seem to find those anywhere, and am hoping that a 470k resistor will work in its place.

Back