Is my breadboard dying?

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Got a breadboard from Tayda almost a month ago and I’ve been using it, well, let’s say about 5 days a week. Today I’m in the process of putting together a bit larger than normal circuit and testing it in phases to make sure each block works
The booster section is hooked up but little sound is coming out of the collector. It has power going to it. There is signal going to the base too and that checks out. It’s a 2n3904. Swapped that out for a direct replacement but no change.

AND

It then goes into an op amp (4558). I tested voltages and ground is getting almost 9v!!!! Doesn’t seem right. Swapped it out, still 9v. I moved the op amp further down the breadboard and power/grounded it. 9v at input voltage and 0v at ground. So it’s not the chip itself: it’s gotta be the board!!!

would a board die out this quickly!?!?

Got a breadboard from Tayda almost a month ago and I’ve been using it, well, let’s say about 5 days a week. Today I’m in the process of putting together a bit larger than normal circuit and testing it in phases to make sure each block works
The booster section is hooked up but little sound is coming out of the collector. It has power going to it. There is signal going to the base too and that checks out. It’s a 2n3904. Swapped that out for a direct replacement but no change.

AND

It then goes into an op amp (4558). I tested voltages and ground is getting almost 9v!!!! Doesn’t seem right. Swapped it out, still 9v. I moved the op amp further down the breadboard and power/grounded it. 9v at input voltage and 0v at ground. So it’s not the chip itself: it’s gotta be the board!!!

would a board die out this quickly!?!?

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time. Things don’t always seat properly on the breadboard for me. A little wiggle and things usually work out.

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time. Things don’t always seat properly on the breadboard for me. A little wiggle and things usually work out.
Wiggle? You mean the component? Maybe I should give the board a couple of taps on a table? Empty of course 😁

i can see how components with bigger leads might open up the holes on a breadboard so they don't snugly hold a smaller lead.

I quadruple checked everything. User error can be higher up on my list sometimes.

Update: my board is sitting on some sticky tack, so there is space between the breadboard and the platform it sits on. I peeled it off the sticky tack and inspected underneath. At first it looked warped on the bottom almost like there was a “lump”. Apparently I can push it back into the board to make it flush. Rechecked the IC voltages and now we’re good. Problem solved? I guess I’ve been pushing a little too hard toward the middle and bent something?

oh, and btw that booster problem I had? Was supposed to be 100 ohm resistor from the emitter. I put 100k in there. User error strikes back.

anyways, I’m still going to stock up on a few breadboards when these do bite the dust. They’re cheap enough.

Back