Is there a good sub for BA282 diode or can I use 2 diodes in series to get similar Vf=0.81V ( King Tone PCBs )

AngelArm777

I am looking to build the Kings Hand Overdrive & the Lone King Overdrive and was looking at the BOM and saw the BA282 diode.
This is the first build that I have had that uses these diodes.
In the one BOM it stated that the forward voltage equal to 0.81V ( Vf = 0.81V )
1. Is there a good substitute for the BA282 that has a Vf = 0.81V?
2. Can I sub 2 other diodes in series to come close to that 0.81V?
Thanks for any help.

Also, I would like to ask the substitute of c type potentiometer and the w type potentiometer, should I just use lunear pot ? Many thx

I am looking to build the Kings Hand Overdrive & the Lone King Overdrive and was looking at the BOM and saw the BA282 diode.
This is the first build that I have had that uses these diodes.
In the one BOM it stated that the forward voltage equal to 0.81V ( Vf = 0.81V )
1. Is there a good substitute for the BA282 that has a Vf = 0.81V?
2. Can I sub 2 other diodes in series to come close to that 0.81V?
Thanks for any help.
I would recommend getting the BA282 diodes. The type of diode and its make up plays a large part in the clipping characteristic of the circuit. Using a different type of diode can change the sound of the circuit completely. If you can find the waveforms of different types of diodes you can see the difference. LEDs clip hard, when they clip the knee of the curve is sharp and abrupt, silicon diodes are close but with a little more bend, germanium diodes have a real nice knee. Ge diodes almost round out the top of the wave form. I havent seen a BA wave form, but I bet its between a Ge and Si(Just a guess). But a different type of diode will alter the clipped wave form. Also the Vfwd of the diode affects the sound. The lower the Vfwd the more compressed the sound is. Trying to get a .8Vfwd will be difficult unless you mix a Si and Ge diode in series and cherry pick the diodes to get the .8V. But this will give you a clip close to the Si alone. So if you want the circuit to sound like the original, get the BA diodes.

Changing the taper of the pot can be done, but it changes the response of the potentiometer. Small Bear carries the C150K in a solder lug pot here http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-16mm-single-gang-reverse-audio-w-solder-terms/ there is also a W20K on same page. Tayda carries the W20K but not the C150K.
Because I live in Hong Kong, the shipping cost for that parts already cost me around us$20, so, that's why I am looking for any substitute opinion. Thx a lot

Because I live in Hong Kong, the shipping cost for that parts already cost me around us$20, so, that's why I am looking for any substitute opinion. Thx a lot
You could always use a C200K, which would give you a little more range on the pot but keep the taper or you could get like a C250K pot and solder a 470K resistor across pins 1 and 3 which would give you a 163K ohm pot with a slightly altered taper.( If you have a resistor in-between 360K and 470K it will be even closer to 150K.)

Also want to ask if I use 100uF e cap instead of 82uF e cap (can't find in store) as stated in the build doc, is it ok?

Lei hao ma fellow Hongker!

No schematic in the build docs yet, but I'm pretty sure that's just power-filtering, so yes, 100 micro-Farads will do.

PM sent.

Cheers,
FF

Back