DEMO [J] The Grodiest Odor | based-on ODR-1 + boost

This post contains an audio or video demo

jessenator

Here it is! THE GRODIEST Odor

4AY15XDh.jpg

From my rather sophomoric ODR-1-like board (with bass roll-off), called The Noblest Odor, I had a not-original idea to pair it with pre-OD boost stage, in the shape of my It Just Boosts board (my take on the LPB-1). This is a Tayda matte black 1590BB enclosure with a custom design, calling to mind (and borrowing from) Big Daddy Roth's style! Painting out the standard control markings with a punkinsh, flair.

What does it sound like? GRODY! The ODR-1 was heralded as an elegant overdrive, and while it is nice and silky, I wanted the ability to make it dirty on command!

I'm a sloppy guitarist… playing for other players makes me super self-conscious, so focus on the tone, not my meh playing.
Playing my Paranormal Offset Telecaster through a mini, desktop amp (which I'll be replacing)

I opted for a 4011 NPN in the "standard" range of an OG Fairchild 5088 over the latter. My mystery box 5088s gotten from Tayda are well over 500 hFE. I mean, maybe it's louder with a 5088, so I socketed it just in case. Usually these boosts are good enough as-is ;D With madbean forum member mauman's addition/suggestion to mitigate some heterodyning, powered by a brick I don't get any of that typical squeal (though with everything at 11 later in the video demo there's some …disturbances in the force). The wiring is... well you can't see how wacky it is, which makes me happy :ROFLMAO: Since I opted for boost on the left on the front panel, OD on the right, the jack-to-switch signal path is reversed, looping back on itself, but thankfully there's enough room to hide it all at the bottom between the chassis and the switches.

More on the wiring: when I was putting it into the enclosure my bypass LED would not turn off… and like an amateur, I did everything short of the one thing that would've solved it. Since it came from a standalone build, I had desoldered and transplanted it here…here be tomfoolery. After pulling my hair out, and the LED from the main board to the switch, there was an infinitesimal bit of conductive schmutz across L and GND :mad: Oh well! Here we are and it works!

Thanks for looking

0dUDn71h.jpg

yRQXseKh.jpg

PmyZE3Ih.jpg

thumb:
4AY15XDt.jpg

Last edited:
You're all too kind! Seriously, thank you for the kind words. I had a lot of fun doing this one and it's gratifying to see others enjoy my shenanigans as well.

Back