J201 sub for a 2n5457?

Oh you're talking about the PNPs, not the JFETs. You're good then.
No I was referring to the j201s. My meter gave me those readings for each one but I will have to re-test to see what the word was next to the #. I just assumed it was hfe because that’s where the hfe # showed for my other transistors.

No I was referring to the j201s. My meter gave me those readings for each one but I will have to re-test to see what the word was next to the #. I just assumed it was hfe because that’s where the hfe # showed for my other transistors.
For JFETs, it should say something like "JFET N-Ch" at the top, and likely Id or Vg for measured values. If you're lucky, you'll get Vgs(off) and Idss values, and maybe even Gfs.

For JFETs, it should say something like "JFET N-Ch" at the top, and likely Id or Vg for measured values. If you're lucky, you'll get Vgs(off) and Idss values, and maybe even Gfs.
Thank you for the info. The 5457s should be arriving soon, when I swap them I will retest the J201s. They came from mouser and the fourth one from Mr. PedalPCB so i know they are legit 201s. But now I want to know what that number was referring to.

From a different thread it sounds like this meter is garbage at reading JFETS. Looks like the cheap tester from Amazon is just a cheap tester from Amazon. Pretty sure it did a good job on my PNPs though.

Wait is the the same Barry as Barry?!
Barry's got some not too expensive considering they're hard to get

Here's a stompville article on substitutes

Not only is Barry a fast shipper, he included bonus in the bag! Kudos to you Barry. Now to the awesome news. Absolutely find and use the 5457s for this build. NIGHT and DAY difference in the way this pedal reacts to the guitar and the sound it produces. J201s sound good, but the 5457s sound right!

Back