Lead catching cutters!?!?!? Take my money

These cutters look intriguing because I have tiny pieces of components legs everywhere in my room :)

From the picture it doesn't look like they can get really close to the PCB in cramped nooks and crannies because they are not angled.

Still, I love buying tools.

Thanks for the heads up!

I use one of these knipex for long years now. I broke it last year after cutting so many things that wasn't supposed to be cutted with. I bought inox version this time. I think those knipex tools are the best we can found around the world. You can also try French brand named FACOM, it works really fine too, but knipex = Deutsche Qualität

I use one of these knipex for long years now. I broke it last year after cutting so many things that wasn't supposed to be cutted with. I bought inox version this time. I think those knipex tools are the best we can found around the world. You can also try French brand named FACOM, it works really fine too, but knipex = Deutsche Qualität

Do you have a link to the FACOM one? I wrecked my Knipex ones recently the way I wreck every cutter - by cutting stuff it shouldn't cut. I just today placed an order for these: https://vetco.net/products/side-wire-cutter-w-lead-catcher-4/xy-ax106 and am curious if they're anywhere near as good as the Knipex ones.

You can't go wrong with Knipex or Fujiya.

I also like the Xuron and use them a good bit. I'll post this link, but I am not responsible for how much you spend.

You are a bad man

I am glad you mentioned Knipex, from 1882, germany.

Proud to present a collector piece, passed through generations in my mother's family.

It's strangely heavy, and you can feel the big hands of the ancestors on your shoulder when you use it.

I wonder if it was expensive when it was brand new. The orange thing feels more like rubber than plastic, not sure how old this is.

Still sharp after decades without any maintenance. I wouldn't use any other cutting pliers. It wouldn't feel right....

It reads : "Knipex Vanadin 14 . 40" Vanadin sounds french, probably a collaboration (no joke intended). IMG_20230112_060647.jpg IMG_20230112_060214.jpg

Last edited:

Proud to present a collector piece, passed through generations in my mother's family.

It's strangely heavy, and you can feel the big hands of the ancestors on your shoulder when you use it.

I wonder if it was expensive when it was brand new. The orange thing feels more like rubber than plastic, not sure how old this is.

Still sharp after decades without any maintenance. I wouldn't use any other cutting pliers. It wouldn't feel right....

It reads : "Knipex Vanadin 14 . 40" Vanadin sounds french, probably a collaboration (no joke intended).View attachment 40059View attachment 40060
Those look like they were hand dipped at some point.

It reads : "Knipex Vanadin 14 . 40" Vanadin sounds french, probably a collaboration (no joke intended).View attachment 40059View attachment 40060
Maybe a vanadium alloy?

Back