SOLVED Lectric FX DC Echo - So close!

PangeaDestructor

I've been working on this one for a while, finally got it all populated and wired up. At first I was getting feedback only and a dim bypass led, but adding a ground link between the breakout board and the pcb fixed both. I ripped off the power input ground pad by accident but luckily there are a few extra ground pads, so I stuck that one up top. So now I get a clean bypass signal, and a clean signal when the circuit is engaged, but there's no effect at all. I need to get a better multimeter with frequency, my cheapo AstroAI AM33d doesn't have that, so recommendations for a budget-friendly one with freq is appreciated.

Build guide here, no schematic available (confirmed with LFX they aren't able to share as part of their deal with the creator): https://lectric-fx.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/DC-Echo.pdf

When I dime the blend pot, the signal dies completely, if i dial it back a hair the signal returns. When I plug in the unit, I get a blip of the overload led, but then it does nothing regardless of input, and I'm reading 14-15v on both legs of that led, so i'm thinking there's something to that, but it seems like even if i had put it in backwards that shouldn't be happening or affecting the circuit.

q1 has ~13.6v going in and 0 coming out, which is correct. IC voltages look good except ic3 i'm getting 7.8v for pins 2,3 and 6 instead of the 5.6v I should have, seems like that will be corrected with a trimmer in biasing.

Pic attached, I'm flying a little blind here without a schematic, but any help would be much appreciated. This is by far the most complex build I've done, and although I've got a few dozen under my belt now I'm still a newb when it comes to circuitry.

Edit: to add, I did sub a tl072 for the 4558 at ic2. i don't see why that would matter especially since it's got the correct voltage, but just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I reflowed every single joint, scrubbed with a toothbrush and alcohol, inspected all leads for shorts and solder bridges. I don't have an audio probe, I really should build one but I'm not sure how it would help here if I can't follow a schematic, right? Then I just probed voltage on all the ICs, that's really all I've done so far.

Something really strange just happened. I had the parts for an audio probe so I threw one together and started poking IC legs, getting sound. After a few I noticed the overload led had started flashing here and there. So I unplugged the probe, plugged a loop into the pedal, and lo and behold there is now sound passing through the circuit with blend all the way up, so a 100% wet signal. I gotta wait until my new dmm gets here tomorrow to try and bias it, but the only thing i can think of is either a weird connection between an IC leg and a socket or a lead clipping that I'd missed and just knocked free.

I've helped PangeaDestructor with this over on the madbean forum, but should anyone come looking for debugging info here, this is the audio-probing sequence for the wet signal in 'long' mode - IC1 Pin 1 - IC1 Pin 7 - IC7 Pin 7 - IC2 Pin 7 - TP2 (IC10) - IC3 Pin 6 - TP3 (IC11) - TP4 (IC12) - IC4 Pin 1 - IC4 Pin 7 - IC2 Pin 1 - IC7 Pin 10 - IC5 Pin 7.

Back