DEMO LectricFX Altered State Phase Shifter (Maestro PS1-A)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just got around to boxing the first of these that I populated recently, so here it is.

Based on the Maestro PS1-A, Lectric included a few tweaks of their own, and I tweaked those a lil further. No other mods, except maybe a cap change or two (lost my build notes). So, nothing major, except the inclusion of a Resonance footswitch which goes between stock Maestro and just enough feedback to get funky, and the Vibrato footswitch, which kills both the dry and Reso signals for some wobblies. Also added some trimpots to fine time the speed of each mode, each going about 50% higher and lower than stock. The Vibe mode also has its own speed control, which is always paralleled to whichever speed is chosen

I figured this would be a fairly ho-hum but great sounding affair based on videos of the Maestro, but the inclusion of the Reso and Vibe make it a killer. I'm really quite fond of this one. It's just the right amount of everything, and there's no knobs to fiddle. This one is definitely going on my board, I just gotta decide if it'll be in my HOG or dirt chain (the Duo-Phase-ivibe will go in the other).
One thing I'm gonna try on the other one prior to boxing will be a feedback path FX loop. I'd have done it here, but I lacked the foresight to position the jacks in such a way that would allow so.
EDIT - forgot to mention the rad ramping when changing speeds. I definitely wanna explore this with some intelligent relays on the next one

I wanted to keep the no knobs ethos of the original. I went with 5mm diffused LEDs to capture some of the vibe of the Maestro unit. The Reso is Pink, and the Vibe is Purple. Used a 1590XX to allow for ample space between the footswitches.

Here's a quick tester video, I'll attempt to get a more concise video at some point, but with how simple the layout is, this really kinda covers it. It's awesome, simple and just wants to whoosh and throb
1000019927.jpg 1000019925.jpg

Actually a really easy build, both fired right up. Lectric's inclusion of the matched JFETs certainly helped, but tuning was also dead simple.

I'd say for any fans of phaser or Univibe, that this is a must build. It's like having a lil box of your favorite phase sounds

Last edited:
Back