Lemonade Overdrive

Put this together for a buddy, everything seemed to be okay until I was at his place and heard some power related noise when it was in the chain. Wasnt to bad but I decided to take it and take a look at it in case something needed to be addressed. First thing I noticed, this pcb says the electrolyics should be rated at 25V. The ones I installed are rated at 16V. How imparitive is this? should I change them? Which would include ordering from Tayda. Aside from that I swear I smell a slight burning smell, but my nose isn't what it used to be.. early 20's kind of took its toll hah.
This is my 4th build, "Lemonade Overdrive" thumbnail_IMG_6230.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6232.jpg

Are your jacks getting a good ground from the enclosure? If not, you might want to sand the powdercoat away on the areas where the jack meets the interior of the pedal.

I noticed that in my house the pedals are pretty quiet, but when I gave them away somebody complained about noise and that seemed to be the culprit.

If you're running this only at 9V, the 16V caps should be ok. A lot of pedals are designed to be run at 9 or 18V and that's when you need the higher rated caps.

Nowadays I always buy 25V or higher caps just to have it covered, but I still use 16V ones I've bought in the past with no issues.

Are your jacks getting a good ground from the enclosure? If not, you might want to sand the powdercoat away on the areas where the jack meets the interior of the pedal.

I noticed that in my house the pedals are pretty quiet, but when I gave them away somebody complained about noise and that seemed to be the culprit.

If you're running this only at 9V, the 16V caps should be ok. A lot of pedals are designed to be run at 9 or 18V and that's when you need the higher rated caps.

Nowadays I always buy 25V or higher caps just to have it covered, but I still use 16V ones I've bought in the past with no issues.
Spi, Thank you so much! I did just as you suggested and gave it to him.. so far looks like you nailed it! Thank you! and thank you for the answer on the caps!

Reactions: spi
Back