Lil Green Scream Machine

Another great build, and another win for terminal blocks! They DO look neat.
I'd love to see more Fuzz PCBs with 3 Lug Terminal Blocks instead of sockets.

Stay tuned for more build reports I should have posted already then ... I almost exclusively use screw terminals for wiring offboard components. Never thought of using them in place of sockets - I assume you mean for transistors? I have a few builds lined up with sot-23 adapter boards and am gonna use 3 position female headers for them, I really like how much more secure they feel than buss wire and sockets

Stay tuned for more build reports I should have posted already then ... I almost exclusively use screw terminals for wiring offboard components. Never thought of using them in place of sockets - I assume you mean for transistors? I have a few builds lined up with sot-23 adapter boards and am gonna use 3 position female headers for them, I really like how much more secure they feel than buss wire and sockets

Yes, for transistors. They are a good compromise, from a long term stability standpoint, between hard wiring and socketing. Frankly, I spent over $100 on my set of OC75s and not much less than that for my 18 or so 2N169s and while I’ve been soldering for a long time, I HATE the idea of putting heat to germanium leads given the fact that it’s very difficult these days to find good units that aren’t leftovers from some other builders bulk buy and sorting.

Yes, for transistors. They are a good compromise, from a long term stability standpoint, between hard wiring and socketing. Frankly, I spent over $100 on my set of OC75s and not much less than that for my 18 or so 2N169s and while I’ve been soldering for a long time, I HATE the idea of putting heat to germanium leads given the fact that it’s very difficult these days to find good units that aren’t leftovers from some other builders bulk buy and sorting.

What kind of screw terminals do you use for transistors? I found 5mm pitch 3pin vertical terminals that work well for potentiometers - I'm still pretty on the fence if I think they're useful - testing pots before soldering hasn't been difficult for me and they add ~7mm of height - but haven't seen any vertical 2.54mm pitch.

What kind of screw terminals do you use for transistors? I found 5mm pitch 3pin vertical terminals that work well for potentiometers - I'm still pretty on the fence if I think they're useful - testing pots before soldering hasn't been difficult for me and they add ~7mm of height - but haven't seen any vertical 2.54mm pitch.

I have the CUI Devices Horizontal units with the 2.54 mm pitch:

Thanks! Gonna order some. Do you ever have any trouble with them fitting into the pcb footprint because of width or length?

Well, you may have trouble with existing boards. Pad orientation on production boards may be an issue. The datasheets have excellent drawings though.

I have only used them on the breadboard and in board designs of my own where I plotted the entire circuit AROUND their dimensions.

My apologies: These blocks DO NOT have 2.54 mm spacing but rather 5.08 mm spacing:

B338ACA9-C299-44B8-99E9-AD371DF8D197.jpeg

The required pad hole would be about twice the thickness of single sockets or traditional transistor sockets as well.

Here are the 2 Term units installed for I/O shielded wire on my breadboard setup. This is the Son of Screamer circuit to bring things back on topic (sorry for the derail!):

4F4105F3-D61C-41F3-9B2C-8AD7F15E7A3B.jpeg

Well, you may have trouble with existing boards. Pad orientation on production boards may be an issue. The datasheets have excellent drawings though.

I have only used them on the breadboard and in board designs of my own where I plotted the entire circuit AROUND their dimensions.

Oh gotya. I’ll stick to sockets for through hole and 3 pin female headers for smd for now.

Back