Looking for compact 20w Tube Heads...

Big Monk

I’m going to be in the market for a new amp head. My dream amp would be the a Hi-Tone LowWatt but I’m afraid that even though I’m financial able to do it, especially on credit where I can dilute the investment, I can’t see myself spending that much.

So I’ve begun looking at the Ceriatone Lunchbox series of amps. Namely the 2202HW and OTS 20w.

Of course, I could source parts and build one myself for much cheaper so that’s a possibility as well.

Anyone have any advice? Ideally a 2 6V6 Hiwatt amp would be something I’d like and I guess I wouldn’t mind building it myself over time.

Reactions: fig
The Egnater Tweaker is pretty sweet. I've had mine for quite a while and it sounds great.

Reactions: fig
Much respect! Can do and should do are two different do dos .
Besides building an amp, what other DIY projects would you have going?

Much respect! Can do and should do are two different do dos .
Besides building an amp, what other DIY projects would you have going?

Outside of electronics? I’ve got 2 bathrooms to remodel, 3 rooms that need crown molding and a family room built in cabinet set on the entertainment wall.

Electronics wise? I think a new pedalboard build is in order and the amp project. I’m quickly approaching the completion of my required pedal list. My build/purchase list is as follows:

1.) Buy a Booner/Build a Hydra
2.) Sell my MXR CSP101SL and buy and modify the MXR CSP026 (‘74 P90 Reissue)
3.) Build my Protoboard
4.) Design an Ampeg Scrambler board and build one
5.) Buy/Build a DSM Humboldt Simplifier
6.) Build a 20 watt Hiwatt amp

If I go the DIY Hiwatt route, I’ll have to plan extensively and I’m going to sub out the cabinet and face/back plates.

Ceriatone amps… Now here’s something I know a little about. I love Ceriatone. Their build quality and Nik’s customer service is top notch. I own a 2202 and it’s by far the best sounding amp I’ve ever owned. My 2202 is more Marshall sounding than Marshall’s 20 watt offering to my ears. That being said though… If you’re looking specifically for a lower wattage Hiwatt style amp, I don’t believe the Ceriatone 2202 or OTS mini will quite do it for you. The OTS is a Dumble style and the the 2202 is a mini JCM 800. Both sound absolutely amazing but they are not Hiwatt flavored. The Hey What 504 would be the better option but it’s full size 50 watt head.

Ceriatone amps… Now here’s something I know a little about. I love Ceriatone. Their build quality and Nik’s customer service is top notch. I own a 2202 and it’s by far the best sounding amp I’ve ever owned. My 2202 is more Marshall sounding than Marshall’s 20 watt offering to my ears. That being said though… If you’re looking specifically for a lower wattage Hiwatt style amp, I don’t believe the Ceriatone 2202 or OTS mini will quite do it for you. The OTS is a Dumble style and the the 2202 is a mini JCM 800. Both sound absolutely amazing but they are not Hiwatt flavored. The Hey What 504 would be the better option but it’s full size 50 watt head.

Yeah, I’m thinking a 6V6 DIY Hiwatt build will be the only way to get what I want.

My pals over at the Watkins forums have build similar amps.

I think it’s the best way to get what I want at my price point.

Depends what`s the price point !

I have been thinking a lot about getting a Trinity Amp kit lately, I just have way to much stuff to do before I can attack this project. But this might be of interest...

I can attest to how great Trinity amps kits are, as can @jjjimi84 who has built several of them. Dan said so himself that yeah you could source all the parts and do it all yourself but what Trinity offers is so good it's like why bother

To the OP... Do you want something already built or a kit?
I have a couple of Fender Blues Jrs that I gutted and tuned one in to a BF Deluxe Reverb (but only the reverb channel and no tremolo). About 15-20 watts output.
The other Blues Jr will be turned into a JCM800 Master Volume style, using EL84s instead of EL34s. So, good for 15 watts.
Both have 12" speakers but have speaker Jacks to where an external speaker cab can be plugged in.
This is what I love about Blues Jrs... They're great to gut and turn into something else. There's plenty of "beyond repair" ones that can be had for cheap!

Depends what`s the price point !

I have been thinking a lot about getting a Trinity Amp kit lately, I just have way to much stuff to do before I can attack this project. But this might be of interest...

That’s in the right direction! With the head cab it’s a little more than I was thinking for the total budget but still well below the Hi-Tone.

That’s in the right direction! With the head cab it’s a little more than I was thinking for the total budget but still well below the Hi-Tone.
Trinity amps is the best in the game in my opinion. Great product for a great price and it is alltop shelf stuff.

My next amp build is the Triwatt so if you go that route you need to detail it for all of us amp nerds.

Trinity amps is the best in the game in my opinion. Great product for a great price and it is alltop shelf stuff.

My next amp build is the Triwatt so if you go that route you need to detail it for all of us amp nerds.

I am going to price out a scratch build with a Trinity head cab and plates and the Trinity and see how it works out.

My only issue with the Trinity is that I’d have to pony up $700 up front. I’d much prefer to gather parts over time and dilute the up front cost.

Ok.

So the past few days I have developed my way forward. I am going to scratch build a classic Hiwatt circuit with 6K6 power tubes. I am working on some PCB designs right now that preserve much of the Hiwatt wiring architecture but that allow me to use PCB mounted pots. I'll have 2 boards, a Preamp board and a Poweramp/Power supply board with tubes in between so much of the classic Hiwatt layout will be preserved, at least in spirit.

I'm gonna go with Edcor transformers and i am using the Linked Input circuit and only plan on a single input to keep the faceplate from being crowded. I am targeting a Hammond 14"x10"x3" enclosure to ensure i have space and also to keep my internal wiring neat like a real Hiwatt. Also, It will allow me to make a head cab that matches my current speaker cab so it does not look goofy on top.

This is a long-term and developing project. Rough draft layout:

HiWatt Rough Draft.PNG

To the OP... Do you want something already built or a kit?
I have a couple of Fender Blues Jrs that I gutted and tuned one in to a BF Deluxe Reverb (but only the reverb channel and no tremolo). About 15-20 watts output.
The other Blues Jr will be turned into a JCM800 Master Volume style, using EL84s instead of EL34s. So, good for 15 watts.
Both have 12" speakers but have speaker Jacks to where an external speaker cab can be plugged in.
This is what I love about Blues Jrs... They're great to gut and turn into something else. There's plenty of "beyond repair" ones that can be had for cheap!
Interesting idea.

Dammit, guys. I'm never gonna get that outta my head now.

I was perfectly fine in life and now I have to have one of those Triwatts.

It’s a nice kit but I have this compulsion now to make my own boards and make things my own. Plus I want to use 6K6 power tubes.

Ok folks.

Here is what I have so far. It's a work in progress. So far I think I'm going to use a tube rectifier. Adapted a known 6K6 power amp and I am working on crafting the classic Hiwatt preamp:

View attachment 16562
Nice work…. I have a couple of questions on your drawing.

When I look at your connection from V1, V2, V3 etc, I’m not sure how you carry the purple/brown pair. Are you splicing it at V2 to keep going to V3 ?

Also, for the connection from the main board to V1-G from the 34K. I see a grey and white pair, what do you do with the grey ? Is it connected to V1-G or just a dead end ?

Bare with me, I’m a newbie !

Back