Low TIde - Distorted/Fuzzy when full wet signal

Dameetch

Hi All,
My low tide turns on and seems to work, however when engaged on and at full "mix" the sound just is fuzzy/staticky and inconsistent.

When I the mix to just clean it sounds ok. So i am trying to pinpoint where to trace the problem through. Any thoughts on suggestions?

Pics attached.

Attachments

• Low Tide 1.jpg
    Low Tide 1.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Low Tide 2.jpg
    Low Tide 2.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 20
Have you adjusted the bias trimpot? If it’s too high it will be fuzzy/distorted
Mine was doing this too, especially with the Boost switch on. Try adjusting the BBD Bias trimpot again, this time with a stronger input signal:

BBD Bias trim pot - Similar to the pot on a CE-2 or Caesar - Adjust for the least amount of distortion on the Wet signal, it's pretty obvious when set correctly: Set the Depth & Mix to 100% and turn up the output loud enough to clearly hear the signal. Start with trimpot set in the middle and very slightly turn up or down to hear where distortion starts, set it where there is the least distortion & noise. There is a range on the trimmer where you will hear the chorus effect. At either end of the range, there is quite a bit of fizz or distortion. Just set the trimmer for the least noise & best sound quality.

Here is the trimpot setup for the Gate trimpot as well:

GATE trim pot - User preference, it controls the frequency of the low pass filter portion of the gate. Start trimpot exactly halfway and try it with external Gate knob at 0%, 50%, & 100%. You want to have a range of options from very filtered at the lowest setting, to totally clean at the highest. - “I did have to fiddle with the external Gate pot on mine to get a setting where I could hear the chorusing clearly…you may have to play around a little to get it completely tuned in”

GATE trim from Shallow Water Manual:
"LPG ADJUST (i.e., GATE TRIM)
- The recovery filter’s lowest frequency can be adjusted, to fine tune the way it will react to incoming signals. Lowering this frequency emphasizes the action of the low pass filter, effectively raising the threshold of sensitivity. Adjustment should be made with the following settings: MIX full wet, LPG minimum, DEPTH minimum. While listening to a signal going through the pedal, you’ll hear the effect of the recovery filter at its resting state. Carefully turn the trimpot labelled LPG adjust (i.e., GATE TRIM), clockwise to raise the filter’s frequency, counter-clockwise to lower. Be very careful, adjustments should be minimal as the trimpot is very sensitive. After each adjustment, LPG should be turned up momentarily to listen at the envelope’s response to the incoming signal."

Mine was doing this too, especially with the Boost switch on. Try adjusting the BBD Bias trimpot again, this time with a stronger input signal:

BBD Bias trim pot - Similar to the pot on a CE-2 or Caesar - Adjust for the least amount of distortion on the Wet signal, it's pretty obvious when set correctly: Set the Depth & Mix to 100% and turn up the output loud enough to clearly hear the signal. Start with trimpot set in the middle and very slightly turn up or down to hear where distortion starts, set it where there is the least distortion & noise. There is a range on the trimmer where you will hear the chorus effect. At either end of the range, there is quite a bit of fizz or distortion. Just set the trimmer for the least noise & best sound quality.

Here is the trimpot setup for the Gate trimpot as well:

GATE trim pot - User preference, it controls the frequency of the low pass filter portion of the gate. Start trimpot exactly halfway and try it with external Gate knob at 0%, 50%, & 100%. You want to have a range of options from very filtered at the lowest setting, to totally clean at the highest. - “I did have to fiddle with the external Gate pot on mine to get a setting where I could hear the chorusing clearly…you may have to play around a little to get it completely tuned in”

GATE trim from Shallow Water Manual:
"LPG ADJUST (i.e., GATE TRIM)
- The recovery filter’s lowest frequency can be adjusted, to fine tune the way it will react to incoming signals. Lowering this frequency emphasizes the action of the low pass filter, effectively raising the threshold of sensitivity. Adjustment should be made with the following settings: MIX full wet, LPG minimum, DEPTH minimum. While listening to a signal going through the pedal, you’ll hear the effect of the recovery filter at its resting state. Carefully turn the trimpot labelled LPG adjust (i.e., GATE TRIM), clockwise to raise the filter’s frequency, counter-clockwise to lower. Be very careful, adjustments should be minimal as the trimpot is very sensitive. After each adjustment, LPG should be turned up momentarily to listen at the envelope’s response to the incoming signal."
I know I’m a bit late to respond, but I finally got to tinker more and this was exactly the issue. So thank you for posting this!

I know I’m a bit late to respond, but I finally got to tinker more and this was exactly the issue. So thank you for posting this!
Glad to hear! I had similar issues with my build and the build doc doesn't have much info on setting up the trimpots. Now that it's dialed in, it's one of my faves!

I think i spoke too soon. tuning the "gate" trimpot definitely eliminated the distorted sound. but now im not hearing any effect. When I turn the depth knob i hear a change only while turning the knob. the rest of the time im not hearing the chorus at all. Trying to narrow down where the issue could be. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Every few weeks i revisit troubleshooting this pedal -

I believe I have narrowed my issue down - When I turn the rate and skew pots, there is no audible change. Has anyone had any issues like this?

Back