Low Tide & Low Tide Mini (Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water)

Hirti

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
When this one was first teased a couple of years ago there was huge hype around it here. Back then I had never heard about it and I instantly bought it because I am a huge sucker for hype. I felt completely underwhelmed with it because I didn't know how to use it at all. Everything sounded weird and way weirder than a usual chorus pedal. I eventually sold it to someone locally.

lowtideold (1).JPG lowtideold (2).jpg

After selling it I still kept thinking about it and asked myself constantly if I missed something. After seeing this demo by Mark Johnston I knew I had to get one again. So I ordered the Mini version that came out since I ordered the first one.

Building it was a breeze. The board layout is nicely laid out. The stacked PCBs are easy to populate - just make sure you use low-profile caps.

The pedal fired up the first time, and this time I enjoy the pedal a lot more. What I feel makes or breaks this pedal is the internal gate trimmer. There's a good tutorial on how to do this. I always have it set to fully clockwise, but there are some interesting settings to be had in between. It takes a bit of time to get this pedal to sound "good" because the Rate, Gate, and Slew controls interact with each other but once you're there it is quite cool. Lastly here's my favorite setting - it makes for a nice Lo-Fi wobble sound. :)

lowtide (1).jpg lowtide (4).JPG lowtidesetting.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice. I remember cranking the gate trimmer almost all the way up also. I wasn’t able to figure out how it all works, but the guy I made it for has it sounding sweet.

Nice work!

Nice builds!

I've got a couple of these in the queue and looking forward to trying them.

That demo you linked is great.

Fairfield also has some sweet video content. Not as much functional information, but much more glue huffing footage.

Back