Lowering value of pot with parallel resistor

Locrian99

Hey all,

So one of my Xmas gifts to my son was the little headphone amp. And I can’t seem to figure out where my 10k dual gang pot went for it. I spent two hours last night ripping my bench and everything else apart looking for it. Ugh. I seem to recall putting it aside a few days ago and hell if I know where aside was now. I have a solder lug 100k and I know I can lower that to 11k by running a 12k resistor in parallel or 9.1k with a 10k.

Do I just attach one leg of the resistor to lug 1 and the other leg to lug 3? And at 9.1k I’m assuming I’ll just get a little lower max volume or is that 11k is a little lower max volume.

Thanks, I’m going to continue looking for the stupid pot but want to have a back up plan, I’ll probably order another and replace the pot next week.

Thanks just building him a small amp to power a small speaker with his electronic drum set he’s getting for Christmas.

Is this the headphone amp project offered here?

If so, I suspect A100K would work just as well, no need to fool with a parallel resistor. It's a voltage divider (like a master volume control) so the specific value of the pot (within a reasonable range of variance) won't affect the output volume.

Is this the headphone amp project offered here?

If so, I suspect A100K would work just as well, no need to fool with a parallel resistor. It's a voltage divider (like a master volume control) so the specific value of the pot (within a reasonable range of variance) won't affect the output volume.
Perfect yes it’s the headphone amp project from you. That makes me feel much better I was half thinking of throwing a ruby together on vero.

Have you looked in the fridge, that's where I put things aside for later :ROFLMAO:
Man i looked everywhere. I just had it, been sitting in the same spot for a month just haven’t gotten around to it. I ripped my bench apart went through my 8 drawer rolling tool chest that sits next to my bench etc etc etc. I’m worried it might have gotten tossed in with empty component bags from my recent builds and gotten tossed. Of course it’s a dual gang which I don’t really keep extras of.

But the 100k option will work I do have an extra one of those, wish it wasn’t lug but I can make it work.

Reactions: Nic
Man i looked everywhere. I just had it, been sitting in the same spot for a month just haven’t gotten around to it. I ripped my bench apart went through my 8 drawer rolling tool chest that sits next to my bench etc etc etc. I’m worried it might have gotten tossed in with empty component bags from my recent builds and gotten tossed. Of course it’s a dual gang which I don’t really keep extras of.

But the 100k option will work I do have an extra one of those, wish it wasn’t lug but I can make it work.
I get it, the only dual gang I ever bought was for this build, if I had bought a spare I would have sent it to you!

Got the 100k all wired up was going to grab a dc. Opened up my little plastic box thing (I have several). There’s the 10k…. I don’t know how I didn’t find it last night and I must’ve moved that box 10x in the process.

100k solder lug. 5E26A63E-2BE6-45F5-82A3-EEB938C49A70.jpeg

10k pcb… 46CCE43C-0E28-4BD1-A690-1CE4FF478210.jpeg

Unfortunately I mentioned to my wife I couldn’t find it last night well she asked what I was looking for. So I think I just have to roll with it was never found lol.

Reactions: Nic
Back