Madbean Polytrog and BC Fuzz

Mentaltossflycoon

Twas a fruitful weekend. I'm pretty sure it was @Guardians of the analog who posted the build that inspired me to order this pcb. It was a while ago now and that could be said for quite a few around here. He didn't do me wrong as this' my new no.1 phaser. Now, I can't say I prefer the actual toan to the XC or Maestro based circuits. Tonally the maestro might be my favorite of these but the envelope function on the polytrog is just super duper. My only wish is that there was room for another footswitch for the envelope/lfo. I kept everything stock and had zero issues, fired up first time which is always nice on a build with so many fancy bits. Easily calibrated, chef's kiss overall. I like it so much I gave it some of the custom "Black Zap" knobs that I've been saving. The blue grey plastic on brunken blue are tasty.

Screenshot_20230522_012523.jpg Screenshot_20230522_012538.jpg

I figured Brian was kind enough to do the giveaways, I shouldn't let it sit around too long. The BC is a fuzz face with a squish knob. I built it with 2n3904 as recommended though I socketed it to try a few others I had on hand. 3904 won out in the end. I'm leaving the sockets for future experimentation. Build doc has suggested GE gain and leakage so i should probably give that a try too.

I used a B2k pot on the gain, because MOAR TOAN! It sounds great with my tele, very.... fuzz facey? As such, it is not optimal for bass but not unusable, I'm kind of digging the squashed buzzy tones it brings.
Screenshot_20230522_012436.jpg Screenshot_20230522_012504.jpg

Last edited:
Nice builds, that polytrog is some of your stronger and cleaner work. Glad I could be a tone accomplice and assist in a build persuasion.

Thanks, man! I even cleaned the flux which i don't always do. I grabbed an awl and did it @Betty Wont style. That was a useful tip and I'm much more likely to do it now so thanks to Betty as well!

Last edited:
Worth it.
97ded377-3400-4261-8827-fe6ce0fd4c49_text.gif

Twas a fruitful weekend. I'm pretty sure it was @Guardians of the analog who posted the build that inspired me to order this pcb. It was a while ago now and that could be said for quite a few around here. He didn't do me wrong as this' my new no.1 phaser. Now, I can't say I prefer the actual toan to the XC or Maestro based circuits. Tonally the maestro might be my favorite of these but the envelope function on the polytrog is just super duper. My only wish is that there was room for another footswitch for the envelope/lfo. I kept everything stock and had zero issues, fired up first time which is always nice on a build with so many fancy bits. Easily calibrated, chef's kiss overall. I like it so much I gave it some of the custom "Black Zap" knobs that I've been saving. The blue grey plastic on brunken blue are tasty.

View attachment 49064View attachment 49065

I figured Brian was kind enough to do the giveaways, I shouldn't let it sit around too long. The BC is a fuzz face with a squish knob. I built it with 2n3904 as recommended though I socketed it to try a few others I had on hand. 3904 won out in the end. I'm leaving the sockets for future experimentation. Build doc has suggested GE gain and leakage so i should probably give that a try too.

I used a B2k pot on the gain, because MOAR TOAN! It sounds great with my tele, very.... fuzz facey? As such, it is not optimal for bass but not unusable, I'm kind of digging the squashed buzzy tones it brings.
View attachment 49066View attachment 49067
You had me at "trippy artwork"

Great job(s)

Back