Madbean Ubertuber: Deadstream. #2 in my series of horror-themed designs.

Stickman393

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Aite, fucked up a bit on this one.

I lifted the pad that links the leg ot the 39ohm resistor to the tube heater. So I've got a bit of an ugly fix on the board there

A "6111" tube that I bought absolutely did not work in this circuit. The plate voltages were way too high. eBay purchase, the tube appeared to have had its markings wiped off, figures as much.

So, I decided to try a couple of others that I had laying around on a whim. A Raytheon JAN6832: datasheets on this one are difficult to find, but I had read threads about folks rolling this one and 6111's in headphone amplifiers, so I gave it a shot. It had closer plate voltages to the 11-11.5vdc specified in madbean's doc, but it's heaters were *super* current hungry and my 1 amp PSU couldn't keep up.

So, nuts to that one. I decided to try Raytheon 6BF7 that I had on hand. The datasheets were pretty close, and that one biased up beautifully.

That said: I suspect that something isn't quite right in the circuit otherwise, because the saturation knob doesn't seem to do a damned thing. I tried it with a nanolog N3 and a pair of 1n914's, no difference. I suspect that the tube isn't pushing hard enough to get those diodes to clip, which might account for the saturation knob not doing much. I did a point to point continuity test: everything matches the schematic. That's just a guess though, I'll need to look into it further. This thing doesn't do a ton of gain at the moment either, it's a very pleasant, wooly, dark and lightly overdriven tone with a hint of fuzz.

Cool, but I've ordered a few more 6111's to keep experimenting with it.

Anywho: this is #2 in a series homages to horror movies that I love. This one is from "Deadstream", a recent indie horror/comedy film that utilizes the "found footage" trope.

Basically: dude's a YouTuber. He does stupid shit for likes on YouTube, but a relatively recent misstep caused all his sponsors to drop him. He gets cancelled.

BUT...when the movie starts, our "hero" has just clawed back one sponsor by pitching and idea: he will spend a night in a haunted house.

The sponsorship deal has very specific stipulations about what he needs to do to in order keep his sponsorship: investigate any and all strange noises, no chickening out and fleeing, yada yada yada.

The movie is, in a word: fantastic. Shawn is self-absorbed, annoying, and a complete overgrown man-child, and it is absolutely believable that he would have an audience on YouTube. The monster design is fantastic, the jump scares are well executed, and goddammit the thing is funny. But what really elevates this flick for me is the thematic flourish: the movie is about untalented creative individuals who insist on inflicting their bland nonsense on the world. So in that respect, I find myself strongly identifying with it. Eat my stick figures, nerds.

Highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing.

Knobs are all labeled to reflect plot points in the film, artwork to reflect the scene when Shawn is hiding in the closet.

Pics!

1000005980.jpg 1000005981.jpg 1000005982.jpg

Neat build, and I dig the movie write-up. I have one of these boards as well, but the nature of how damn picky the circuit is with tube specs has me turned off from building it any time soon– don't feel like spending a bunch on submini tubes to find one that will *maybe* work well

Neat build, and I dig the movie write-up. I have one of these boards as well, but the nature of how damn picky the circuit is with tube specs has me turned off from building it any time soon– don't feel like spending a bunch on submini tubes to find one that will *maybe* work well
That was my problem too. A bunch of meh. His other tube project is way more better.

Back