Matte clear coat

megatrav

Hey friends,

I am working on a project and I am having a hard time finding a matte clear coat that doesn't have issues.
I am using a matte black enclosure and the decal I am using is basic matte cars stock. The first paint I tried was Rustoleum 2X Matte Clear and it turned the decal (not the metal enclosure) white.
The second one was Rustoleum Enamel clear satin. It did not turn the decal white, but it did cause the enclosure to look cloudy.
I have looked at Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Matte and Krylon Matte finish. After reading reviews, it seems like this is an issue with almost all matte clear finishes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cloudiness in clear coat can easily be caused by humidity. So if there was high humidity when you sprayed the second one it's likely that the paint is okay and that you just need to remove the humidity or wait till things dry up. If it's not humid then I'm not sure what the issue is... old paint?

Use a gloss and then wet sand it down to matte with micron polishing paper. It wouldn't be my first recommendation because plenty of people seem to be able to get matte clear coats to work effortlessly, but I've always had trouble.

If you're mixing brands/types of paints, substrates, and clear coats, you may be running into issues with adverse chemical reactions. I try to stick with the same brand and series of paints on any one project to avoid issues like that. My preferred spray cans are the Montana Gold series. It's a lower flow spray that allows you to get even coats without too much buildup. The varnish series has matte, semi-gloss (satin), and gloss variants.

EDIT: Montana recently started selling an aluminum-specific primer. I've found that it works much better than other all-purpose primers that claim to work on aluminum.

I don't have an association with the company—just a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!
I think the humidity is definitely what is causing the issue but I have also read that alcohol can later cause the enamel to get cloudy. I haven't tested this, but it is a worry for me since I use alcohol to clean the boxes off.
It is also crazy humid here so glossy clear and then sanding seems like the answer for now.
I have also read about putting the cans in hot water to help the particles to break up more and not go on as thick.
I may have also been applying too much per coat with the matte finish. I have read that it may appear like nothing is going on so over spraying to compensate is common.
I think the 2X stuff is probably not great anyway

here so glossy clear and then sanding seems like the answer for now.

When you do this make sure to get the micron paper, can't stress that enough. I've tried it with high grit automotive sandpaper that is theoretically equivalent grit to micron grades but the paper will save you from digging through the clear coat and paint on the corners and edges. For getting to matte I would work down from 1 micron (1 micron will probably not do much, if anything) until you get the level of matte you're looking for. If I'm remembering right 3 micron got me to satin, and 9 micron got me to matte using Zona's 1, 2, 3, 9, 15, and 30 micron assortment and a standard krylon gloss clear coat. Also if you've never used it, that polishing paper also loses its edge must faster than any sandpaper I've used

I use the matte rustoleum on laser waterslide without issue. Have had the cloudiness and dreaded crackly/wrinkle thing happen on occasion on builds. The prior being humidity temperature issues (used to use hairdryer to fast dry) the latter being moisture still in the decal. I usually do mine outside but am careful not to do in direct sunlight or high humidity conditions.

Well it sounds like humidity is my nemesis here. It's quite humid where I live at this time of year.
Has anyone found success in hand application for clear coat?

I use the matte rustoleum on laser waterslide without issue. Have had the cloudiness and dreaded crackly/wrinkle thing happen on occasion on builds. The prior being humidity temperature issues (used to use hairdryer to fast dry) the latter being moisture still in the decal. I usually do mine outside but am careful not to do in direct sunlight or high humidity conditions.
Do you use the matte enamel from Rustoleum or a different one?

Back