DEMO MBP AquaBoy Deluxe (Boss DM-2 Delay)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Started this one yesterday evening and wrapping it up between meetings this morning.

Another MBP board I've been waiting for a while to come back in stock. I've been wanting to build this ever since my ill fated AquaBaby build a while ago.

I built that board with the modulation add on board and always felt like the modulation didn't sound very well integrated and was a bit overwhelming.

So I figured that the ABDLX would be better sounding pedal. And in many ways it is much superior to the AquaBaby.

First off this one uses 2 BBD's for more delay time and the optical modulation is integrated to the board. However, the modulation still sounds overwhelming to me, there's no way to dial it down in certain settings.

I'm not quite sure if I got the wrong toggle or did something wrong in the build, but the toggle is "supposed" to be Middle = no Mod, and the up and down turn on triangle or square wave modulation.

For some reason, mine has modulation in the middle off position, and in the lower position and also a slight bit of modulation in the up position.
I got the PCB pin DPDT On-off-On toggles from SBP and now I'm wondering if they aren't type II.

In any case, I can't use either the triangle or square modes as it's just way too much wiggle for me. In the up position I'm getting a slight bit of chorus on the repeats which sounds the best to me.

Biasing this pedal is not nearly as straightforward as the Total Recall or Tourbus pedals. Like the AquaBoy it takes some serious listening to get it set and it still feels like a bit of a compromise between clean repeats, output and dithering on the repeats. After screwing around with it for a good while I just settled for a happy medium. I think this is one build that CAN be biased by ear but could probably use a scope to get it properly set.

Having said that, this is a great sounding delay, although I don't like it as much as my Deluxe Memory Man builds, which suit me better.

This is a pretty busy build as is typical of BBD delays. This one has a mix of 1/4 watt and 1/8 watt resistors. I used a pair of XVive MN3005's for the BBD's and a V571 for the compander.

I also used an SMD version of the BS250, which has a different pinout than the TO-92 version, so I had to do the twisty treat on the legs of the adapter board.

I didn't have an "Aqua" colored enclosure so this light blue is the closest I had.

I had also originally intended to leave the "tails" switch out (like @Guardians of the analog 's build) but was spacing out when I was drilling and drilled the second footswitch....so "tails" it is hahaha.

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

Edited: Forgot the all important gut shot hahahah

I recorded a short demo of how this delay sounds. At one point in the vid I'm turning on my Total Recall (Deluxe Memory Man) that's off camera for comparison.

Turned out good, and the switch makes me think the switch itself is faulty or there is a solder bridge with the modulation not turning off.
Yah, I dunno, I hate removing toggle switches as I tend burn the crap out of everything when I try. Although this one being PCB pin it might be easier. I have one more toggle from that order (I tend to order multiples of items, which explains my burgeoning stockpile hahah) I'll check it a little later to see if it's a "Type 1 or 2" issue or if I just borked something.

Edit: I don't understand the overwhelming modulation even with the Depth knob turned all the way down. Does yours do that? Can you dial it down to a "slight bit of mod" in Triangle or Square modes?

Another tight build. I totally feel you on the modulation. I'm not a fan of it on this pedal so I don't even bother using it on mine. It's definitely an all or nothing kind of thing and yeah... no thank you. The deluxe memory man is the only analog delay that does the built in modulation thing right in my opinion. Anyway, I used a cheap o-scope when I calibrated mine and honestly, it didn't really help a whole lot outside of setting the cancel trimmer. If you have a multimeter that reads frequency, try maxing out your delay knob, dump the other two, probe pin 4 on the MN3101, and adjust your clock trim to around 6.8 kHz. That seemed to be the sweet spot for delay time and no clock noise. For bias, dump the delay and feedback to minimum, feed a 200 Hz sine wave on the input, do the audio probe thing on pin 3 or 4 of the MN3005s, and adjust your bias trimmers to the cleanest sound.

Looks great! Mines sitting in what seems to be an ever growing stack of builds I need to order parts for. Your review might have knocked it down a few spots lol.

Back